Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.1 Officially Promoted To Being An LTS Kernel

Phoronix: Linux 6.1 Officially Promoted To Being An LTS Kernel

Linux 6.1 was widely anticipated to be a Long-Term Support (LTS) kernel with normally the last major release series for the calendar year normally promoted to LTS status. Greg Kroah-Hartman as the Linux stable maintainer went ahead today and formally recognized Linux 6.1 as the 2022 LTS kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why do the three last LTS:es have a similar projected end time?
    I thought they'd extend over each other into the future.
    At first I thought it was a typo.. But it probably isn't.
    Strange. Seems a bit counterintuitive.

Comment

a shame they didn't make 6.2 LTS since it has a lot of fixes, (makes DG2 actually viable)

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      it costs time and hence money to maintain kernels. so kernels with more priority get a longer projected EOL
      Last edited by Quackdoc; 07 February 2023, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        Those dates get extended when companies later express the need to have longer support. See Link1 Link2
        There are even Super LTS branches with 10 years of support.
        Last edited by Vermilion; 07 February 2023, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Bummer for me, the wifi driver for my new laptop is in 6.2 and I prefer keeping a customized offline installation disk with an LTS kernel.
          Since Manjaro typically uses the LTS for their ISO's jumping trough hoops to get the wifi working is not yet going to be over, depending on which kernel the next Ubuntu is going to use I might keep using that for a while since right now Ubuntu 22.04 LTS supports my laptop the best. That kernel is old enough not to support the wifi at all, so you don't have to worry about blacklisting anything, while at the same time it had a new enough Mesa to support the GPU.

Looks like ill have to wait another year before the LTS kernels support my laptop well.

Comment

Disappointing!
            6.2 would've been much better.

Comment

Fingers crossed the next LTS actually has PREEMPT_RT.

Comment

Hope Alchemist enablement gets back ported to 6.1 LTS. I know the April version of OpenBSD is targeting Linux 6.1 DRM and I would love to know how an ARC Alchemist graphics card works on that OS. I used to be a FreeBSD guy but now am all into OpenBSD after a lot of research so at the time I bought an Nvidia GPU because it was best supported in FreeBSD (With their Unix driver that supports Solaris and FreeBSD), but in OpenBSD a modern Nvidia cards just gets VESA support only which sucks. From my readings on Reddit AMDGPU isn't that polished either on OpenBSD so I wonder if a discrete Intel graphics card would give me the best experience on OpenBSD.

Comment

From my perspective, LTS is determined by spinning a large wheel..... click, click, click.... click... click.... 6.1!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                    From my perspective, LTS is determined by spinning a large wheel..... click, click, click.... click... click.... 6.1!!!
                    LTS has been the last release of the year since 4.9 in 2016.

Comment

Working...
                    X