Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Patches Wire Up ACPI Support For RISC-V On Linux

Phoronix: New Patches Wire Up ACPI Support For RISC-V On Linux

A set of 24 Linux kernel patches today wire up the basic ACPI infrastructure support for the RISC-V processor architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are we bringing microsoft's windows bullshit to RISC-V, a platform that windows isn't even close to running on?

Device tree, people. Device tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      Why are we bringing microsoft's windows bullshit to RISC-V, a platform that windows isn't even close to running on?

Adding mine Signed-off-by...

Comment

I assume ACPI is being used to simplify configuration and addition of new boards / cpus to the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Part of the UEFI effort. Stronger platform standardization.

Comment

Yeah, better platform support and such. Still, I wish the code would printk every time it runs 'Your board is stupid' or something like this. <.<

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Part of the UEFI effort. Stronger platform standardization.
              UEFI does not care about Device Tree or ACPI, especially here where UEFI effort means u-boot starting the .efi binaries and ideally providing the device tree to the kernel if the kernel has no newer device tree on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

UEFI does not care about Device Tree or ACPI, especially here where UEFI effort means u-boot starting the .efi binaries and ideally providing the device tree to the kernel if the kernel has no newer device tree on hand.
                Maybe it is not a requirement, but they seem to be pushing it pretty hard: https://uefi.org/faq-page

I hope RISC-V specs make it so that if there's ACPI tables and such, they are generated from device tree, and that device tree is a requisite, but I have not been watching the related working groups for the specs closely.

Comment

Cool, hell is freezing over. Reduced Instruction set, but Complex boot and firmware configuration. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                    Cool, hell is freezing over. Reduced Instruction set, but Complex boot and firmware configuration. Yay!
                    Yeah... ACPI is a nightmare to implement when you develop OS. Why porting such a massive pile of sht to RISC-V???

Comment

Working...
                    X