BSD-Powered helloSystem 0.8 Performance Against Linux On AMD Zen 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSD-Powered helloSystem 0.8 Performance Against Linux On AMD Zen 4

Phoronix: BSD-Powered helloSystem 0.8 Performance Against Linux On AMD Zen 4

With many Phoronix readers having been excited by the recent helloSystem v0.8 release as a FreeBSD-powered OS taking major design inspiration from Apple's macOS, I decided to run some benchmarks to see how this FreeBSD 13.1 based operating system was competing with a few different Linux distributions from an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X (Zen 4) desktop.

FreeBSD + NetBSD + OpenBSD versus Debian + Clear Linux network/system/IO performance benchmark would be extremely interesting

Comment

When did Fedora become the king of Linux distros? Not only in terms of performance, but overall cleanliness, stability, etc.

It used to be Ubuntu, wasn't it?, long time ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        FreeBSD + NetBSD + OpenBSD versus Debian + Clear Linux network/system/IO performance benchmark would be extremely interesting
        Don't forget DragonFly BSD!

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
          When did Fedora become the king of Linux distros? Not only in terms of performance, but overall cleanliness, stability, etc.

Fedora is for many years king. I would say at least 5 years.
          Fedora was the first distro using Wayland per default on Gnome many years ago and it worked very well from the beginning.

Comment

Really nice performance from Fedora 37. Will be really disappointing if that performance is going to be ruined in Fedora 38 because of -fno-omit-frame-pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Fedora is for many years king. I would say at least 5 years.
              Fedora was the first distro using Wayland per default on Gnome many years ago and it worked very well from the beginning.
              Well bless your heart. You must be wearing rose colored glasses today.

Comment

Performs as well as I expected after reading the list of things the developer of this likes and dislikes. Developer is as out of touch with reality as this BSD distros performance is out of touch with modern systems.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
                  My personal impression was and still is Ubuntu has always been sub-par with packaging problems (even when leeching from Debian, one of the most stable and bulletproof distributions out there), weird choices (politics?), wasteful decisions and all that glorious Canonical lock-in.

Never got warm with Fedora, either.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well bless your heart. You must be wearing rose colored glasses today.
                    And you must’ve been wearing blindfolds.

Comment

Working...
                    X