Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.65 Adds New Combine-Stream Module, Bluetooth MIDI

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.65 Adds New Combine-Stream Module, Bluetooth MIDI

PipeWire 0.3.65 is out today as the newest feature update to this novel server for managing audio/video streams on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this means I'll be able to easily connect several bluetooth headsets to my laptop soon. Watching a movie with family during a train trip is still not a good experience today, whatever the OS.

Comment

Wasn't this available in Pulseaudio already years ago?

Comment

Too bad that Debian developers are still avoiding it instead of using it by default since it covers so may cases and fixes so many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Too bad that Debian developers are still avoiding it instead of using it by default since it covers so may cases and fixes so many things.
          Not sure what you mean. Pretty sure it's the default in Debian testing and the upcoming Debian 12.

Debian 11 has been out for a while so it's understandably not the default there, but you can get a recent version of PipeWire through the bullseye-backports repository, and manually configure it to replace PulseAudio.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            I didn't know that this was a feature for the older solution, the benefit for Pipewire is using this feature without going through the pulseaudio module (within Pipewire). Don't quote me on this, I believe this is the case. All I know is that Pipewire has a big endeavor to put the de-facto solution in one project, so far it has not been clunky just time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
              I hope this means I'll be able to easily connect several bluetooth headsets to my laptop soon. Watching a movie with family during a train trip is still not a good experience today, whatever the OS.
              I think that limitation is in Bluetooth, not something PipeWire can fix.

Comment

the release notes mentions midi for bluetooth. which is a different matter. however as somebody who actually has a bluetooth midi device i am very grateful for this. and looking forward to trying it out in future

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Yes, however I had two audio cards, each of them worked perfectly when used singularly, but every time I tried to output audio on both of them it worked for a while and then the audio would completely stop until I killed pulseaudio. Don't know if they fixed it since.

Comment

Originally posted by cip91 View Post

Yes, however I had two audio cards, each of them worked perfectly when used singularly, but every time I tried to output audio on both of them it worked for a while and then the audio would completely stop until I killed pulseaudio. Don't know if they fixed it since.
                    Ok, good to know.

Originally posted by Sethox
                    the benefit for Pipewire is using this feature without going through the pulseaudio module (within Pipewire
                    Yes, obviously native solutions have better latency than wiring audio through PA.

Comment

Working...
                    X