Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD's HAMMER2 File-System Being Ported To NetBSD

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD's HAMMER2 File-System Being Ported To NetBSD

NetBSD continues using the FFS file-system by default while it's offered ZFS support that has been slowly improving -- in NetBSD-CURRENT is the ability to use ZFS as the root file-system if first booting to FFS, for example. There may be another modern file-system option soon with an effort underway to port DragonFlyBSD's HAMMER2 over to NetBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

who had also worked on porting HAMMER2 to FreeBSD as another exercise
    LOL, didn't Mat Dillon explained, that this is technical not possible, because of missing features in FreeBSD?

Comment

Stop, it's HAMMER time!

I couldn't help myself.Song: MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This

Comment

How good is HAMMER2 compared to other file systems such as ext4, ZFS, Btrfs, and Apple File System (APFS)?

Are they similar in design or does HAMMER2 provide any advantages?

Has there been any interest to port HAMMER2 to Linux? I think it would be difficult because Linux and DragonFly BSD differ in the VFS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          How good is HAMMER2 compared to other file systems such as ext4, ZFS, Btrfs, and Apple File System (APFS)?

Are they similar in design or does HAMMER2 provide any advantages?

Has there been any interest to port HAMMER2 to Linux? I think it would be difficult because Linux and DragonFly BSD differ in the VFS.
          Seems difficult:

ZFS and HAMMER2 both have native encryption support. Btrfs has something planned in the future, but given its track record, many people will not have much confidence in it. HAMMER2 has a more permissive license. The best hope for native ZFS-like fs kernel support is maybe Bcachefs. APFS lives in an altogether different ecosystem.

I'm not sure if HAMMER2 will get clustering support (it is in the design doc) but that would be interesting. Recently, remote block-level mounts over the network were made possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
            LOL, didn't Mat Dillon explained, that this is technical not possible, because of missing features in FreeBSD?
            I suppose porting to FreeBSD involves adding the missing features.

Comment

"in NetBSD-CURRENT is the ability to use ZFS as the root file-system if first booting to FFS" sounds like a contradiction to me. I think it means to say its not currently possible to boot directly from ZFS root in netbsd ie you need a FFS boot partition?

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
                "in NetBSD-CURRENT is the ability to use ZFS as the root file-system if first booting to FFS" sounds like a contradiction to me. I think it means to say its not currently possible to boot directly from ZFS root in netbsd ie you need a FFS boot partition?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Indeed. Same with ZFS. Infact, FreeBSD has a solaris.ko (kernel module) just for these additions.

I am glad to hear hammer is getting ported. Mainly because if you port it once, it helps you clean up some of the encapsulation and API making it easier to port to further operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

As it the case with most things getting ported from foreign systems. On Linux this used to be achieved thanks to the Solaris Porting Layer (SPL) which resided on a its own repository and has been merged into ZFS.

Comment

Working...
                    X