No announcement yet.

Intel Preparing New "Xe" Linux Kernel Graphics Driver For Modern iGPUs & dGPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Preparing New "Xe" Linux Kernel Graphics Driver For Modern iGPUs & dGPUs

Phoronix: Intel Preparing New "Xe" Linux Kernel Graphics Driver For Modern iGPUs & dGPUs

If you are running the newest Intel Raptor Lake processors with integrated graphics and the latest Intel Arc Graphics discrete graphics cards under Linux, you are currently relying on the Intel "i915" DRM kernel graphics driver... As implied by the name, it's been used with Intel graphics going back to the old 915G chipset days nearly twenty years ago. But Intel has been working on a new "Xe" kernel graphics driver they have initially announced today and aim to make it production-ready in 2023 for supporting their modern Xe Graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What will this mean for the major *BSDs and smaller OSes like Haiku? Currently Intel graphics are the best supported on those platforms!

Comment

What about SR-IOV support?
      For fucks sake, we need just one vendor to break the ice on this!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        What will this mean for the major *BSDs and smaller OSes like Haiku? Currently Intel graphics are the best supported on those platforms!
        I don't know about that. I think NVIDIA provides the most mature support on FreeBSD at least, usually as good as day 1 support.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

I don't know about that. I think NVIDIA provides the most mature support on FreeBSD at least, usually as good as day 1 support.
          Therefore he specifically mentioned all niche operating systems out there, which obviously also includes FreeBSD.

And it's only a matter of time until nVidia will drop support for FreeBSD aswell -- remember Solaris?

Anyway, back on topic:

A new Linux DRM kernel driver means that Intel is actually commited to further investments into the dGPU space, which is fantastic news, because the current duopoly doesn't work for the consumer anymore.

Another plus point on Intel's side is that their official Vulkan driver (ANV) is part of upstream Mesa & actively developed by themselves, unlike AMD's official Vulkan driver (AMDVLK).

Thankfully, RADV picks up the slack that AMD dropped & is still unwilling to invest into the better Linux driver for their own GPUs...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            What about SR-IOV support?
            I seem to recall that the server/DC centric Xe GPUs are enabled for and have SR-IOV support.

Comment

Please please PLEASE! pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can we see a GUI control panel soon, Intel?

Comment

Would be nice if firmware updates get done through fwupd
                Last edited by Mark Rose; 25 December 2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  Please please PLEASE! pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can we see a GUI control panel soon, Intel?
                  Either make is vendor-agnostic in Qt/GTK or fuck off. I don't need 3 gigabytes of electron blob collecting my private info. Windows GPU GUIs are a fucking shitfest.

Comment

Can't wait for the driver, hopefully in time for the next LTS release. And like the user above, can we please have a control panel? Maybe working with CoreCtrl and/or RadeonSoftware as the starter would be really nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X