Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.5 Adding Wayland Native Interface

Phoronix: Qt 6.5 Adding Wayland Native Interface

The Qt6 toolkit introduced the notion of platform-specific objects via the QNativeInterface namespace and now set to come with Qt 6.5 is support for a Wayland native interface for application developers wanting to interact directly with Wayland object handles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

QT is getting pretty good.

Comment

Easier path for KDE 6 !

Comment

removal of Qt X11 Extras is pretty nice ,hope they allow completely disabling X11 for Wayland only Apps

​

Comment

Great!
          Now do something about Vulkan support!
          I wonder how lightweight and optimized KDE Plasma would be with Vulkan support?
          As now, at least on Wayland with Intel GPUs seems kinda slow.

Comment

I've written networking tools in Qt in the past (headless). It's very tolerable if you are required to write C++ code.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Great!
              Now do something about Vulkan support!
              As now, at least on Wayland with Intel GPUs seems kinda slow.
              IIRC you can't use a different Video Card (vkPhysicalDevice) besides the one chosen by default by Qt5, because under the hood Qt does the VK initialization and this option isn't available.

I recall writing a few custom functions going on a little different initialization path to allow choosing the physical device myself. Maybe by now it's an option, I don't follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Exactly! But first we need to achieve lightweight then optimize and then make it stable... and only the we can try Vulkan.
                KDE is really great DE, will be with stability optimisation... And Vulkan of course

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                  QT is getting pretty good.
                  Quicktime sucks. Oh, you meant Qt?

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
                    I've written networking tools in Qt in the past (headless). It's very tolerable if you are required to write C++ code.
                    I once wrote a cli tool which was supposed to create PDF files. It worked well, until I tried to run it on a headless machine. It turned out in order to print you needed a QApplication object, which requires a DISPLAY. Well, in the end I reworked the tool to Cairo and that worked well xD

Comment

Working...
                    X