Mesa Developers Eye Removing Clover Once Rusticl OpenCL Code Hits Parity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Developers Eye Removing Clover Once Rusticl OpenCL Code Hits Parity

Phoronix: Mesa Developers Eye Removing Clover Once Rusticl OpenCL Code Hits Parity

New to the upcoming Mesa 22.3 release is Rusticl as a Rust-written OpenCL implementation for Mesa drivers. Rusticl supports OpenCL 3.0, handles OpenCL images and other features, works with multiple drivers, and is modern and maintained. Already among Mesa developers is a discussion that has begun around removing the older "Clover" OpenCL Gallium3D implementation once Rusticl has firmly hit parity with that older, unmaintained state tracker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

long term goal, but a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      One of the biggest goal... With complete Vulkan/OpenCL/OpenGL support it will be much easier for Linux to achieve goals on Desktop and not only.

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post

One of the biggest goal... With complete Vulkan/OpenCL/OpenGL support it will be much easier for Linux to achieve goals on Desktop and not only.
        one of the things I am most excited about is zink + rusticl myself, been wanting to see it work for a while now.

Comment

one of the things I am most excited about is zink + rusticl myself, been wanting to see it work for a while now.
          It already does, just need to upstream patches. It also passes 99.5% of the CTS.

Comment

I don't think so: a couple of months and will be gone IMHO.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

To clarify, this is not represented on mesamatrix.net, right? Because I get the impression that's only showing Clover.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

It already does, just need to upstream patches. It also passes 99.5% of the CTS.
                I just wish I had the opportunity to test it, sadly it seems im running into a DG2 bug that requires a kernel patch that seems like it will likely land on linux 6.2.

Comment

Clover never really worked for me. Even if theoretically supports my hardware, almost none of the application that I use could use it. I can live without OpenCL on my desktop but if Rusticl can fill the gap then there is no reason why I shouldn't use it. Good work karolherbst

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                    Clover never really worked for me. Even if theoretically supports my hardware, almost none of the application that I use could use it. I can live without OpenCL on my desktop but if Rusticl can fill the gap then there is no reason why I shouldn't use it. Good work karolherbst
                    OCL is really useful for a lot of folk, some people who can benefit on their PCs are everyone from 3d rendering, to video manipulation, it could even allegedly be used in emulation to benefit some odd gpus, but im not sure of any emulators that actually use OCL for that

also
                    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                    Clover never really worked.
                    FIFY​

Comment

Working...
                    X