KDE Prepares Smarter KRunner, Steam Scaling Better Under Plasma Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Prepares Smarter KRunner, Steam Scaling Better Under Plasma Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Prepares Smarter KRunner, Steam Scaling Better Under Plasma Wayland

It's Saturday morning and that means there is a new weekly blog post by KDE developer Nate Graham about the prominent desktop changes that occurred this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use KDE Neon and by an update, I can't open PDF files anymore with Okular. I get following error:
    Unable to open QuickAnnotatingTools XML definition
    Does anyone know how to fix it? The bug report gets ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      I use KDE Neon and by an update, I can't open PDF files anymore with Okular. I get following error:

You can try the flatpack until it's fixed in your distro.

Comment

Your PDF is broken. Your report is ignored because there's no bug to begin with...

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Your PDF is broken. Your report is ignored because there's no bug to begin with...
          So, I have hundreds of PDFs on my computer. If I test several PDF, I get the reported problem. Same, when I download somewhere a PDF. Firefox and Chrome can display them. Before the KDE Neon update: no problem with Okular. But MY PDFs are broken!!!
          I have no words, when I encounter arrogance and stupidity at the same time!

Comment

What versions? If you're on an old enough version, 20.08 or earlier, this NixOS fix might work since Neon had the same issue at one time. You can find the XMLs here.

If you're on a newer version then I don't know.

What I can tell you is that your PDF is probably just fine. Your PDF is broken is the generic bullshit response that the KDE maintainers give out.

Bug reports are littered with "My PDF works on Chrome, Firefox, LibreOffice, and 17 other programs except Ocular."

"Your PDF is broken."

"Are you sure? It works everywhere else."

"Yes. It's broken. PDFs work just fine on my system running a completely different and newer Linux distribution and Ocular version."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Your PDF is broken is the generic bullshit response that the KDE maintainers give out.
              This is unfortunately a pretty common behavior I observed among open source devs. When you present them with a bug, the first thing they do is prove as hard as humanly possible that it's not a bug and/or an issue on your side. I don't know why they do this (probably lazyness), but yeah, it's annoying.

Comment

What versions?
                I have 22.08.3. I can narrow the problem: I see only a blank page with a maximized window, but when I make the window smaller, I see the content. When I maximize again, I have the same problem.
                Anyways: Next week my MacBook Air arrives. --> Problem solved.

Comment

I have 22.08.3. I can narrow the problem: I see only a blank page with a maximized window, but when I make the window smaller, I see the content. When I maximize again, I have the same problem.
                  Anyways: Next week my MacBook Air arrives. --> Problem solved.
                  That almost sounds like a KWin or Wayland issue. I had similar issues with the Firefox Flat on SUSE Tumbleweed KDE Wayland last week. I never bothered trying X since the random blank window seems to only happen to me on Wayland environments.

I'm currently in-between Linux installs (migrating to Void) so that's as much as I can help. I had a rather traumatic experience happen a month ago and I'm just now getting to the point to where I can sit down and concentrate enough to do anything more than rant about something that pisses me off. I adopted a kitten, Jo Jo, and a few hours later my cat Poppy was ran over. I loved her so much and I'm still really messed up over it.

Hopefully this time next week I'll have rewritten these Void ZFS root scripts I've come across to get back into the Linux game. There's just too much hardcoded stuff in those scripts for me to run them as-is...locales, pool names, and whatnot...

ngraham

Totally off topic: Did you ever buy the Astro Tech 10mm UWA? I just happened to come across your post on Cloudy Nights earlier today asking about it. My cat passing triggered something that pushed me away from my PC and back into my other hobbies and I'm trying to decide between the AT UWA 10mm and the 7mm as a high powered, wide-field eyepiece to compliment my low-powered 24mm Panoptic. Scope setup is a Nexstar 8SE.

Comment

That almost sounds like a KWin or Wayland issue.
                    I actually use X, because the experience with Wayland and NVIDIA is still not mature enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X