Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sdl12-compat 1.2.60 Gets More Old Games Running Atop SDL2 For Modern Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sdl12-compat 1.2.60 Gets More Old Games Running Atop SDL2 For Modern Linux Gaming

Phoronix: sdl12-compat 1.2.60 Gets More Old Games Running Atop SDL2 For Modern Linux Gaming

sdl12-compat is the library implementation allowing old SDL 1.2 games/software to work arop SDL2. This sdl12-compat can allow for Wayland support if there is no other direct X11 usage by the software itself, native support for PipeWire, improved input controls, and the many other enhancements enjoyed with the much more modern SDL2 library. Released yesterday was sdl12-compat 1.2.60 as the newest stable release for this conversion/support library for vintage software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

arop.

Comment

yes, the 23-year-old binaries from Loki!
      ...so, is this project emulating the old glibc5 functions that broke with glibc6, meaning that to get Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri to run (not play sound, that requires at least a kernel recompile on Debian and even then I haven't had that working since Debian 9) I won't have to point it at a bunch of special Loki-compat libraries anymore?

If so, I am *exceedingly* hyped. Even if the Windows version is the only one which gets unofficial patch mods.

Comment

Ubuntu in it's infinite wisdom doesn't ship the i386 build.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

...so, is this project emulating the old glibc5 functions that broke with glibc6, meaning that to get Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri to run (not play sound, that requires at least a kernel recompile on Debian and even then I haven't had that working since Debian 9) I won't have to point it at a bunch of special Loki-compat libraries anymore?

If so, I am *exceedingly* hyped. Even if the Windows version is the only one which gets unofficial patch mods.
          no, it does nothing of the sort (unfortunately, but quite obviously). Have you tried reading what this project is about?
          Also, with SMAX the problem is not only to make it run (it runs, kinda... with sound/music too and no you don't have to recompile a kernel for this, at least not Ubuntu's) but all the (binary) patches that the fans community have created over the time... for the windows binary that is.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post

no, it does nothing of the sort (unfortunately, but quite obviously). Have you tried reading what this project is about?
            Also, with SMAX the problem is not only to make it run (it runs, kinda... with sound/music too and no you don't have to recompile a kernel for this, at least not Ubuntu's) but all the (binary) patches that the fans community have created over the time... for the windows binary that is.
            I was hoping they'd added something into this SDL project to redirect the calls for compatibility, like SDL does for other platform differences, is all. And no, I didn't look it up past the article, because I didn't have time at the time.

As for recompiling the kernel: Yes, I had to on that OS, because one of the OSS compatiblity modules was not built by the distro but was needed. shrug

Comment

Working...
            X