Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 7950X "Zen 4" Rocks On Intel's Clear Linux

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X "Zen 4" Rocks On Intel's Clear Linux

This shouldn't be too surprising to long-time Phoronix readers, but Intel's performance-optimized Clear Linux operating system is yielding great performance with AMD Ryzen 7000 series "Zen 4" processors. Intel's Clear Linux has long shipped HWCAPS support and tuning for AVX-512 and the like to be able to provide optimized libraries when running on their own AVX-512 processors. But with AMD now joining the AVX-512 party -- and Zen 4's AVX-512 implementation performing great -- Intel's Clear Linux distribution is showing leading performance numbers on these new AMD desktop processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thx! Very interessting. So it seems CL is also using avx-512 on the AMD counterpart. Thats good news

Comment

Awesome news for AMD... tough news for Intel... on top of a ton of other tough news for them with the layoffs and such these days.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Awesome news for AMD... tough news for Intel... on top of a ton of other tough news for them with the layoffs and such these days.
        I'm always fucking astonished how fans of any company create a nice warm fuzzy bubble for themselves where their company is the best in the world, it cares about its consumers while all its competitors are evil profit driven con artists.

Well, sorry to break it to you:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...miss-estimates

Also, what's awesome for AMD and what's tough for Intel in the context of this review? Clear Linux shows equal gains for both AMD and Intel CPUs.

God, sometimes when I read what fans write I have a strong gag reflex, I feel like I'm about to vomit.

Volta here in Phoronix is probably one of the best examples of such rabid vomit inducing fanboyism.

Intel started to support Linux in terms of open source long before AMD did. Nah, even NVIDIA got into Linux (albeit with closed source drivers) long before AMD.

It's utterly cringe worthy to read the "underdog" praise in 2022 when AMD has recently surpassed Intel in terms of capitalization.
        Last edited by birdie; 14 October 2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I've long wanted to post this picture and finally I'm doing it.

HWiNFO64 sensors information for Ryzen 7 5800X under Windows.

Now compare that to Linux:
          Code:
          k10temp-pci-00c3
          Adapter: PCI adapter
          Tctl:         +42.1°C  
          Tccd1:        +35.2°C
          Stop BS'ing everyone here how AMD loves Linux. They cannot even finish their CPPC CPU driver (the first one, amd-pstate is abandoned, the second is yet to be merged) which was available under Windows from day one and here we are in 2022, almost six years after the first CPPC enabled AMD CPUs were released and we still have no hassle-free fully functional driver for Linux.

Your beloved fucking company doesn't even fully support its CPUs under Linux yet you're licking their arse as if there's no tomorrow.

I do not fucking understand AMD fans. It literally takes a single person maybe a month to write a CPU frequency driver and AMD doesn't even give you that.

FML.

But yeah Intel and NVIDIA are bad.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Volta here in Phoronix is probably one of the best examples of such rabid vomit inducing fanboyism.

Intel started to support Linux in terms of open source long before AMD did. Nah, even NVIDIA got into Linux (albeit with closed source drivers) long before AMD.

It's utterly cringe worthy to read the "underdog" praise in 2022 when AMD has recently surpassed Intel in terms of capitalization.
            You're prime example of hypocrite of all times. nfuckdia fanboy, winblows fanboy and sometimes Intel fanboy (but only in anti-AMD threads). And where's nvidia with their 'Open Source'? Nowhere. It seems you've vomited your brain already.

Comment

Nice, you have a picture, but where's performance?​

I do not fucking understand AMD fans. It literally takes a single person maybe a month to write a CPU frequency driver and AMD doesn't even give you that.

FML.
              You do not fucking understand a thing, so it's nothing new.

nfuckdia is as good as dead.

Comment

HWiNFO64 sensors information for Ryzen 7 5800X under Windows.

Now compare that to Linux:
                Code:
                k10temp-pci-00c3
                Adapter: PCI adapter
                Tctl: +42.1°C
                Tccd1: +35.2°C
                Stop BS'ing everyone here how AMD loves Linux. They cannot even finish their CPPC CPU driver (the first one, amd-pstate is abandoned, the second is yet to be merged) which was available under Windows from day one and here we are in 2022, almost six years after the first CPPC enabled AMD CPUs were released and we still have no hassle-free fully functional driver for Linux.

Your beloved fucking company doesn't even fully support its CPUs under Linux yet you're licking their arse as if there's no tomorrow.

FML.

Calm the fuck down, birdie. You're in no position to shit on fanboys. You just hate fanboys of things you're not a fanboy for.

I agree that none of these results show anything bad for Intel. It's comparing software not hardware. The hardware is the same and the standout software is from Intel.

But the fact that you get so emotional about this kind of suggests you should talk to a therapist. If you're this obsessive about stuff like this then you probably are about other things offline.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  nfuckdia is as good as dead.
                  Okay, Volta. You need help, too. Calm down. "Nfuckdia" is also really immature, console war stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Calm the fuck down, birdie. You're in no position to shit on fanboys. You just hate fanboys of things you're not a fanboy for.

I agree that none of these results show anything bad for Intel. It's comparing software not hardware. The hardware is the same and the standout software is from Intel.

But the fact that you get so emotional about this kind of suggests you should talk to a therapist. If you're this obsessive about stuff like this then you probably are about other things offline.
                    I'm not a fan of anything in this world other than common sense, logic, cold rationale and the scientific approach but I'm not perfect either because I'm driven by the genes I've inherited from a billion of years of evolution, e.g. I cannot stop loving a person who has long dumped me but at least with this love I'm not setting the world on fire, I don't create or participate in conflicts, and I try to help people who've lost their rational mind. And I will die long before I understand why people create idols for themselves, no matter if it's a company, operating system, or particular person or everything above.

Choose products! Choose quality! Chose traits! Choose life!

Comment

Working...
                    X