AMD Ryzen 9 7950X P-State/CPUFreq Frequency Scaling Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 7950X P-State/CPUFreq Frequency Scaling Performance On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X P-State/CPUFreq Frequency Scaling Performance On Linux

For those wondering the difference using the aging ACPI CPUFreq driver or the newer AMD P-State CPU frequency scaling drivers make for modern Ryzen 7000 "Zen 4" desktops, here are some CPUFreq/P-State driver tests using the Ryzen 9 7950X as well as testing the various governor options and looking at the impact on the CPU power consumption, peak frequency, and thermals too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if amd could only fix its thermal blanket... I mean IHS design.

Comment

Looking at all the perf/W graphs, both p-state settings are consistently worse than cpufreq. I know that's not the whole story, but it's hard to overlook.

Comment

It might be interesting if there's some benchmark which could put the system under moderate load and measure power/performance since that's kind of the point of cpufreq scaling. That said, the governor should be able to heuristically determine when a workload is maxing out the system, it's odd that doesn't happen. When I run a full load on my fx9590 using acpi-cpufreq, along with schedutil, all cores are maxed out at base frequency. It's no different to using the performance governor. Is there perhaps a bug determining the max_freq for the new CPUs?

Comment

So, the Ryzen 7000 series does not even work to its full potential under Linux. Woah.

The CPU is basically not properly supported. Speaking of AMD's open source commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            So, the Ryzen 7000 series does not even work to its full potential under Linux. Woah.

The CPU is basically not properly supported. Speaking of AMD's open source commitment.
            uhm well yeah what about it?

Comment

Ondemand is not supported on amd-pstate? I am using 5950X with cpufreq and "aggressive ondemand" from custom kernel and I am more than satisfied with results.

Comment

I'm having very good results with P-state using PBO curve overclocking. While playing apex, core freqs went from an 4.7 to 5.1 on my 5950X, with gamemode enabled.
                Last edited by Zeioth; 10 October 2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                  I'm having very good results with P-state using PBO curve overclocking. While playing apex, core freqs went from an 4.7 to 5.1 on my 5950X, with gamemode enabled.
                  Do you have any VMs thar you run? If yes, did you test performance in them? My VM performance in a Wndows VM went down drastically in CPU bound scenarios with p-state on my 5950x.

Comment

Michael The motherboard you got received a bios update with the so called "Eco Mode"? We are curious about Zen 4 efficiency, outside the overclock mode they enable by default to get bigger numbers for marketing reasons.

Also, it would be interesting to see if the Ryzen 9 7950x can be cooled by air in 105w and 65W "Eco mode".

Comment

Working...
                    X