Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Toolchain Plans Move To The Linux Foundation's Infrastructure

Phoronix: GNU Toolchain Plans Move To The Linux Foundation's Infrastructure

The GCC compiler and related GNU toolchain infrastructure has long been hosted by Sourceware.org that has been sponsored by Red Hat the past two decades. But now the GNU Toolchain Infrastructure (GTI) project is being established as it works to leverage the Linux Foundation's IT services to provide more robust and secure infrastructure for these critical open-source projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix article 2055:

After the death by natural causes of all the original Kernel members, the Linux Foundation can finally move on from its long hosted mailing list system to a modern ticketing system...

Comment

Good, I guess!
      I've always wondered why is the Linux Foundation doing with all that money that it's getting from the members since it doesn't look like it's doing much for the Linux community.
      They're not even paying Michael full time or donate something substantial to him for the amazing work he's doing with all the benchmarks and regressions finding.
      I bet he help the members of the Linux Foundation to save millions with all those regressions that he found and bisected.
      He definitely deserves something in return for all his hard work.

Comment

Danny3

This is why the readers should pay premium. I personally dislike the idea of subsidies. Overall Mr Larabel has provided good and consistant quality information as an independent. I'd rather he stay independent and stay good than serve whatever interests the Linux Foundation thinks it should have.

Also, if memory serves, when Amazon released Lumberyard to the world, LF was all in on it, while Godot, an arguably far more FOSS project, was left to its own devices. I don't trust their decision making all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
          Danny3

This is why the readers should pay premium. I personally dislike the idea of subsidies. Overall Mr Larabel has provided good and consistant quality information as an independent. I'd rather he stay independent and stay good than serve whatever interests the Linux Foundation thinks it should have.

Also, if memory serves, when Amazon released Lumberyard to the world, LF was all in on it, while Godot, an arguably far more FOSS project, was left to its own devices. I don't trust their decision making all that much.
          Ok, I kinda agree with your point of view!

I though that they can fund him, but with no strings attached so that he can stay as independent as he was until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Good, I guess!
            I've always wondered why is the Linux Foundation doing with all that money that it's getting from the members since it doesn't look like it's doing much for the Linux community.
            The Linux Foundation (as a 501(c)(6)) works for the benefit of its members (donors) not the Linux Community or the public

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Ok, I kinda agree with your point of view!

I though that they can fund him, but with no strings attached so that he can stay as independent as he was until now.
              As nice as it sounds and as awesome as it would be, that'd never happen. Phoronix is a commercial business. He'd have to rebrand Phoronix into a non-profit or create an Open Benchmark Foundation with leadership structures, financial accounting, follow more stringent laws, have stated goals and roles, have moderators that follow and enforce codes of conducts, and more. That really isn't such a bad idea, but it'd need at least half a million a year to lowball pay a skeleton crew, pay the bills, all-the-while still requiring some volunteers.

While I don't think Michael is like this, "just giving someone money and letting them stay independent" is a recipe from them to go on, take the money, and run (or do the bare minimum if there are stipulations attached). Creating an organization with a mission statement and a plan, however, is something the bigger companies can get behind. They donate to the organization and organization members do their tasks.

Moreover, we'd lose the Phoronix community if that happened. Open Benchmark Foundation forums would have to governed by a woke, accepting policy so we'd lose our free speech that Phoronix offers. Phoronix is one of the last bastions of corporate free speech around and, unfortunately, the Linux Foundation and all the sponsors that the organization would need can't be associated with the likes of us. We say fuck and shit. Linus says fuck and shit, but he's Linus and, even so, the fuckers made him take an anger management class. We're not gonna get that kind of leeway.

Comment

I hope LF is doing EEE on GNU so we can finally stop the whole "it's GNU\Linux actually" shenaningans and be done with it already

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

As nice as it sounds and as awesome as it would be, that'd never happen. Phoronix is a commercial business. He'd have to rebrand Phoronix into a non-profit or create an Open Benchmark Foundation with leadership structures, financial accounting, follow more stringent laws, have stated goals and roles, have moderators that follow and enforce codes of conducts, and more
                  None of that is necessary unless you want a tax advantage. Linux foundation already gives out grants to projects not setup as a non-profit but if people care so much about funding for a site, they should just sign up for a premium membership instead of expecting a industry consortium (which is what Linux foundation is) to fund them. That way you get a much more diversified revenue source.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Linus says fuck and shit, but he's Linus and, even so, the fuckers made him take an anger management class.
                  Linus has said far far worse things but he apologized for it and changed his behavior which is a good thing. I don't see why you would bring foundation into it.

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of
                  not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been
                  both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made
                  it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me.
                  I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

None of that is necessary unless you want a tax advantage. Linux foundation already gives out grants to projects not setup as a non-profit but if people care so much about funding for a site, they should just sign up for a premium membership instead of expecting a industry consortium (which is what Linux foundation is) to fund them. That way you get a much more diversified revenue source.​
                    Both of us are making assumptions about Phoronix's current revenue and income that neither of us know -- like, we don't know the membership revenue, commercial benchmark revenue, or things of that nature. That may or may not be relevant to what I'm about to say:

I'm talking less about funding the site as I am talking about funding a long term benchmarking project. What Phoronix already does unofficially, but in an official capacity governed in an open and transparent manner so there aren't any external influences or biases; just pure data for the love of pure data; tests for the love of running tests. I hope that states my position a little more clearly. It isn't so much about funding Phoronix but evolving the concept into an open organization.

And Fedora piggybacks off of Red Hat and IBM. I'm just going to say that it's ironic that someone from Fedora is knocking me for suggesting the idea of piggybacking off other corporations.

Linus has said far far worse things but he apologized for it and changed his behavior which is a good thing. I don't see why you would bring foundation into it.
                    You need to quit taking my more colorful statements so seriously.

Comment

Working...
                    X