Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X / Ryzen 9 7950X Benchmarks Show Impressive Zen 4 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 7900X / Ryzen 9 7950X Benchmarks Show Impressive Zen 4 Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X / Ryzen 9 7950X Benchmarks Show Impressive Zen 4 Linux Performance

The review embargo just lifted for the AMD Ryzen 7000 series "Zen 4" desktop processors ahead of their retail availability this week. As such there are a few Phoronix articles today looking at these Zen 4 processors under Linux and many benchmarks whole several more follow-up articles will be coming over the weeks ahead. For the launch-day review I have the AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and 7950X processors. Let's take a look at the significant performance improvements to find with the AMD Ryzen 9 7900 series under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL in saturated scenarios it approaches 2x the performance if intel's fastest.

I noticed a typo at the daw benchmark - the second one says 480000 hz. Also, testing on both 44.1 and 48 khz is pointless, what you should be doing instead is testing much smaller buffer sizes, cuz that's where cpus need to face real time requirements in audio scenarios.

You should try testing at like 128 samples buffer. That's what's used for real time recording, mixing and stuff is done at large buffer sizes because the latency is not an issue if you are not performing live.
    Last edited by ddriver; 26 September 2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Its interessting that the 79XX are having the same TDP median values as the 59XX CPUs albeit hitting once in the while much higher power consumption values. From The engineering point of view they didn't want to go beyond 59XX series on median. It is also interessting that they have increased the TDP from 105W to 170W. By taken the median Value as metric it was not necessary. Maybe by average?
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 26 September 2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Can I haz 7950X benchmark in ECO mode & TDP limiting? Anandtech says that
        ```
        170W TDP Base = 105W with ECO Mode enabled
        105W TDP Base = 65W with ECO Mode enabled​
        ```
        so there are 3 possible combinations except default and probably 170W+ECO is the same as plain 105W limit

Comment

From mechanical eng. POV the heat spreader is quite expensive compared to the previous design. This one looks like it needs to be milled. The previous one could be easily punched and drawed.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            From mechanical eng. POV the heat spreader is quite expensive compared to the previous design. This one looks like it needs to be milled. The previous one could be easily punched and drawed.
            I hear it is a solid design, I mean internally. Looks thick enough to upgrade to a phase change block, outta do miracles for heat transfer. Overall heatspreaders seem tricky even to those ultra precise industries. Zen 4 shows 10-15 degree variance between core temps, so contact doesn't look to be that great.

This design can still be punched-out / pressed fairly cheaply, and having more of them ridges will help it retain form a little better.

Which is a shame, because this cpu merits a custom machined job. Especially in light of amd's choice of target temps.
            Last edited by ddriver; 26 September 2022, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Typo on page 3
              Both the 7960X and 7950X were leading when it came to the web browser performance over the tested Intel Alder Lake and Rocket Lake CPUs as well as earlier Zen 3 / Zen 2 comparison CPUs.
              Should be 7900X?

Comment

Nice to see my 5950X is still rocking.

Comment

Thank you so much for the benchmarks. Going to be some interesting times coming up. Will wait for the next model before upgrading (AM5 being new, and having bought 5950x for cheap recently).

7950x also runs at 95c, but designed to and also keeps boosts at that. Going to be interesting to see how coolers evolve for this ...

Comment

95c and that power draw are a skip 7000 series for me. I think an used 5950x will be the sweet spot soon

Comment

Working...
                    X