Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGLRU Linux Performance Looking Very Good For OpenWrt Router Use

Phoronix: MGLRU Linux Performance Looking Very Good For OpenWrt Router Use

For those running the embedded OpenWrt Linux operating system for routers and other networking devices or just running a memory-constrained MIPS Linux system, the forthcoming Multi-Gen LRU "MGLRU" kernel feature is looking very good on that front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it was mentioned in a previous article but I could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt but I think Google is already using this in their Chromebook kernel and if so it must be the reason that rather on a 4GB or 8GB Chromebook I almost never see a RAM related restart because it unloads tabs I'm not using and such. Really nice how it squeezes the most out of the minimal RAM on the system.
    Last edited by kylew77; 31 August 2022, 07:26 AM. Reason: taps to tabs

Comment

I know they said they included it in their Android kernels, can't speak to Chromebooks, though that would make sense.

Comment

It'll take a while to get into a distributed version of OpenWrt. The team doing the maintenance, while excellent, don't have the capacity to turn out quick updates. They are still working on getting version 22.03 out, which was kind-of meant to be pushed out in March. It's at rc6 and will likely get to rc7. This is not a complaint, as the emphasis is on releasing a new version when it is ready.
        OpenWrt is brilliant, and the team producing need support and resources, not complaints about speed of delivery. If you can, please help them.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
          It'll take a while to get into a distributed version of OpenWrt. The team doing the maintenance, while excellent, don't have the capacity to turn out quick updates. They are still working on getting version 22.03 out, which was kind-of meant to be pushed out in March. It's at rc6 and will likely get to rc7. This is not a complaint, as the emphasis is on releasing a new version when it is ready.
          OpenWrt is brilliant, and the team producing need support and resources, not complaints about speed of delivery. If you can, please help them.
          indeed they are doing a great work!
          I never had a single issue in several years using OpenWrt.

Also, they're supporting a large number of devices and working with embedded devices is hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            I know they said they included it in their Android kernels, can't speak to Chromebooks, though that would make sense.
            Usage in Android is worth a bit more explanation, since no released Android version uses a kernel newer than 5.10. And even that is an about 20% of the device out there (according to this: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-versio...-share/android)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Usage in Android is worth a bit more explanation, since no released Android version uses a kernel newer than 5.10. And even that is an about 20% of the device out there (according to this: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-versio...-share/android)
              Check Michael's earliest posts on mglru, it looks like they've been carrying it as their own patch for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post

Check Michael's earliest posts on mglru, it looks like they've been carrying it as their own patch for a while.
                "Recently the v4 patches were posted and quickly followed up by v5 that re-based the code against the Linux 5.15 state." I figured it has lived out of tree for a while if it's this close to getting merged. But it still doesn't shed any light on which "production" Android versions it is used. I would expect devices built over the last 2 years to carry this, but do users of older devices get these benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

"Recently the v4 patches were posted and quickly followed up by v5 that re-based the code against the Linux 5.15 state." I figured it has lived out of tree for a while if it's this close to getting merged. But it still doesn't shed any light on which "production" Android versions it is used. I would expect devices built over the last 2 years to carry this, but do users of older devices get these benefits?
                  I can't confirm any devices in particular, but I imagine it has gone to at least pixels new enough to still receive updates from when google first started carrying the patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                    Yes, OpenWrt is probably one of the best open source projects out there. The developers and maintainers are doing an awesome job.

True, it will probably take a while for these patches to find their way into a release, but OpenWrt is generally happy to include backported patches or even patches still in the upstream review process (this was the case for the original Wireguard patchset AFAIK). See https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/b...eneric/PATCHES and the patches themselves in the subdirectories.
                    So if someone is willing to maintain the MGLRU patches inside the OpenWrt tree and they prove to be valuable, I guess they could be included soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X