No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0-rc3 Released In Marking 31 Years Since Linus Torvalds Announced It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.0-rc3 Released In Marking 31 Years Since Linus Torvalds Announced It

Phoronix: Linux 6.0-rc3 Released In Marking 31 Years Since Linus Torvalds Announced It

Linus Torvalds just released the third weekly release candidate of the upcoming Linux 6.0 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No ntfs3 fixes?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      No ntfs3 fixes?
      There were fixes in rc2

Comment

Linux 6.0-rc3 was announced 31 years ago? That's some development cycle

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Linux 6.0-rc3 was announced 31 years ago? That's some development cycle
          My thoughts exactly. Sometimes I wish Phoronix articles were written in simple, understandable English instead of this stupid jargon that often only makes the author trip in his verbal gimmicks and results in plain false statements. This is fake news, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

My thoughts exactly. Sometimes I wish Phoronix articles were written in simple, understandable English instead of this stupid jargon that often only makes the author trip in his verbal gimmicks and results in plain false statements. This is fake news, unfortunately.
            I don't think it's even a case of jargonitis. It's just that the author (Michael) had such a tunnel vision of his headline that he didn't realise it meant something very different from what he intended.

Comment

I don't think it's even a case of jargonitis. It's just that the author (Michael) had such a tunnel vision of his headline that he didn't realise it meant something very different from what he intended.
              I don't think that insulting someone who cares and really works hard to get latest news and benchmarks out is the right way to say thank you.
              Additionally this is not a language barrier - but a logical one.
              We are in the 6.0 development cycle - and the entire development started in announcing a personal project to get generally available.
              So this fits perfectly and is on topic.
              Only someone who is completely new to Linux will not see that fitting perfectly well.
              So when blaming others one should first look in the mirror to make sure it is not oneself (especially concerning tunnel vision cough!).

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post

I don't think that insulting someone who cares and really works hard to get latest news and benchmarks out is the right way to say thank you.
                Additionally this is not a language barrier - but a logical one.
                We are in the 6.0 development cycle - and the entire development started in announcing a personal project to get generally available.
                So this fits perfectly and is on topic.
                Only someone who is completely new to Linux will not see that fitting perfectly well.
                So when blaming others one should first look in the mirror to make sure it is not oneself (especially concerning tunnel vision cough!).
                I didn't insult him and I definitely appreciate that he works hard to get the latest news out. It's perfectly natural for someone doing that not to realise that a title might be misleading to someone who doesn't have nearly as much context as he has. Those like us who know Linux of course understand what he meant, but a newcomer who reads it literally could still believe that 6.0-rc3 was announced 31 years ago and now got finally released. I think it's important for the community not to forget to always take that step back, whether it's for news reporting or UI design. In both cases, being intuitive and self evident is a huge part of being able to welcome new potential users.

Comment

I didn't insult him and I definitely appreciate that he works hard to get the latest news out. It's perfectly natural for someone doing that not to realise that a title might be misleading to someone who doesn't have nearly as much context as he has. Those like us who know Linux of course understand what he meant, but a newcomer who reads it literally could still believe that 6.0-rc3 was announced 31 years ago and now got finally released. I think it's important for the community not to forget to always take that step back, whether it's for news reporting or UI design. In both cases, being intuitive and self evident is a huge part of being able to welcome new potential users.
                  Oh please... don't be ridiculous. While the phrasing could be a bit better. Anyone interested enough in Linux to be reading Phoronix knows better, and Linux is enough of a household word that certainly any random off the street should be able to figure it out. On the contrary the versioning scheme would be meaningless to them but they'd know it was saying Linux was 31 years old.

Comment

I'd certainly like to believe a professional writer would appreciate some constructive critiques in their craft.
                    There's no getting around the fact that the article title is confusing, which is something that should be addressed. It has nothing to do with the subject matter, it's confusing from a general English perspective.

Comment

Working...
                    X