Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemu Emulator For The Wii U Now Open-Source, Building On Linux

Phoronix: Cemu Emulator For The Wii U Now Open-Source, Building On Linux

Cemu is a popular emulator for the Nintendo Wii U that can successfully run many games as well as homebrew titles. Cemu started off with just Windows support but then at the beginning of the year laid out plans to go open-source and provide Linux support. They've pulled that off and the code is now out there in a public GitHub repository...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess they probably didn't want anyone trying to merge patches that aren't engineered using a clean-room process. That's the only way to get away without getting a lawsuit from Nintendo.

Comment

Sweet! I hope the controller input will be better then with CEMU+Wine.

Haha has to be run on a case insensitive file system for the moment. That should be some low hanging fruits to patch for new contributors.

Comment

Great info for the Valve SteamDeck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post

Haha has to be run on a case insensitive file system for the moment. That should be some low hanging fruits to patch for new contributors.
          Some of the games on the Wii U look fun so I'm glad I run one of those file systems

I never really got into the Wii or Wii U back then. The most Wii I ever did was when my Dad owned some of the Tiger Woods games and we'd golf together whenever I'd come over to visit. Other than that, I haven't really played anything Nintendo since then outside of Super Mario All Stars + World on SNES9X every once and a while.

I tried to get back into it a year ago but the generic controllers Wii I bought were crappy and kept disconnecting. Soon after they got boxed up during some remodeling and I haven't pulled them back out to see if I can get them to stay connected. This is encouraging me to give that another shot.

Comment

Great to see that! I am a little bit sad that there is no commit history present.

Comment

Nice timing, I just got the Wii stuff of my sister and I'm missing a dongle for my TV.

Comment

Steam remote play works fine with Cemu, including gamepad commands. I use an old cheap USB gamepad and stream the game from a powerful loud server hidden in the attic. I used it for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Good that game is not limited to Switch only, which is not yet emulated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Steam remote play works fine with Cemu, including gamepad commands. I use an old cheap USB gamepad and stream the game from a powerful loud server hidden in the attic. I used it for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Good that game is not limited to Switch only, which is not yet emulated.
                  Does motion control work for controllers with motion control? Some parts of BOTW will be hard to play without motion. I also had problems, when I disconnected the gamepad during gameplay. Then it didn't reconnect unless I restarted CEMU.

It does work, but not as well as it could.

Comment

Does motion control work for controllers with motion control? Some parts of BOTW will be hard to play without motion. I also had problems, when I disconnected the gamepad during gameplay. Then it didn't reconnect unless I restarted CEMU.

It does work, but not as well as it could.
                    I had to google, what is that motion control. The last Zelda was primarily for Switch, which doesn't have it, so the gameplay is obviously optimized not to require it. Thus works fine in Cemu with an ordinary gamepad (maybe Cemu supports even the original Wii U peripherals with all their features). When I ran it remotely, I could disconnect not only the gamepad, but the whole client PC, naturally. When I played it locally (at a half fps - a slow old PC), I didn't have problems with the gamepad's disconnecting.

Comment

Working...
                    X