Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 13 Sources Released To AOSP

Phoronix: Android 13 Sources Released To AOSP

Google announced today that the Android 13 sources have been published to the Android Open-Source Project as part of officially releasing this newest version of Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More and more features become proprietary and exclusive to pixel. That's a crappy move by google.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      More and more features become proprietary and exclusive to pixel. That's a crappy move by google.
      Such as?

Comment

Looks like they polished up the big screen PC interface to something half usable: https://blog.esper.io/android-13-dee.../#pc_interface

Though if memory serves, the big problem for desktop / kiosk use was that inputs (mouse, keyboard and digitizer) in surfaceflinger aren't privileged so a demanding app could lock up the whole interface at least until the scheduler brought up the "Wait/Kill dialog box".

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
          Looks like they polished up the big screen PC interface to something half usable: https://blog.esper.io/android-13-dee.../#pc_interface

Though if memory serves, the big problem for desktop / kiosk use was that inputs (mouse, keyboard and digitizer) in surfaceflinger aren't privileged so a demanding app could lock up the whole interface at least until the scheduler brought up the "Wait/Kill dialog box".
          That sounds gross.

Why privileges for input? That should be managed apart. Surfaceflinger seems weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Such as?
            There are many cool features that are proprietary, which is fine by me by the way, although some are once open source, they locked it in later version. but here I want to talk some basic stuff that google neglect to open source, like keyboard langage support. it only supports Latin keyboard. So if you are japanese/chinese/Indian/Arab or Russian, well no luck for you. Also camera app is too basic, like the very least i expect all camera sensors you can find a modern phone be used. But nope, you have to install another camera app to use your camera.

Comment

There are many cool features that are proprietary, which is fine by me by the way, although some are once open source, they locked it in later version. but here I want to talk some basic stuff that google neglect to open source, like keyboard langage support. it only supports Latin keyboard. So if you are japanese/chinese/Indian/Arab or Russian, well no luck for you. Also camera app is too basic, like the very least i expect all camera sensors you can find a modern phone be used. But nope, you have to install another camera app to use your camera.
              Frankly I've come to expect Google software to be half baked and missing basic expected features then killed in a couple years. Google Keep not having a sort functionality is what I personally find the most egregious example of Google's philosophy towards software development.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Frankly I've come to expect Google software to be half baked and missing basic expected features then killed in a couple years.
                Fortunately there's a handy little website to chronicle exactly that: https://killedbygoogle.com/

Comment

There's nothing wrong with making more than more features proprietary. No one owes you or manufacturers free things.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Google Keep not having a sort functionality is what I personally find the most egregious example of Google's philosophy towards software development.
                    You also can't (well, couldn't when I last tried) to change a calendar colour in Google Calendar app. Where's a(n third-party) app for that, luckily!

Comment

Working...
                    X