Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter & Shell 43 Beta Bring Several Very Exciting Changes

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter & Shell 43 Beta Bring Several Very Exciting Changes

GNOME's Shell and Mutter components have released their beta versions for this GNOME 43 milestone. Particularly on the Mutter side are some very exciting changes from improvements to direct scan-out, high resolution scroll wheel support being completed and merged, various Wayland improvements, and more performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> Up to this point direct scanout only worked for single head display configurations.

This is not correct. It already worked in multi-display configs, but only for one at a time. Now one can have one surface get scanned out for each connected display.

Comment

Oh man... Another release missing the VRR support and the Triple Buffering...

Comment

I had some issues while expanding my monitor to the tv, I can't use the native resolution, on kde Wayland worked ok. I hope that this fixes the issue. (Rx580)

Comment

Originally posted by alosarjos View Post
          I thought triple buffering is already merged

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
            I had some issues while expanding my monitor to the tv, I can't use the native resolution, on kde Wayland worked ok. I hope that this fixes the issue. (Rx580)
            What size of TV? Last week and the week before that I had Fedora GNOME on two separate TVs (at different times/houses). A 4K and a 1080p.

I had this funky issue where the entire extension interface would crash if I double-clicked a full screen video until I logged out and back on. If I used keyboard shortcuts or the full screen video toggle icon it didn't crash. That happened with VLC, Celluloid, and the default, crappy, and useless Videos. It happened frequently enough that I installed KDE.

I didn't have any issues in regards to overscan or the image not fitting the screen (had to use the overscan toggle on the 1080p screen but the image was perfect)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

What size of TV? Last week and the week before that I had Fedora GNOME on two separate TVs (at different times/houses). A 4K and a 1080p.
              Both are 1080p@60, if I expand it and force 1080, the tv reduces a lot the Hz.

Comment

Really great changes! I hope that 44 will also finally bring proper AppIndicators (tray icons) support (based on the new xdg spec). ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by AsciiWolf View Post
                  Really great changes! I hope that 44 will also finally bring proper AppIndicators (tray icons) support (based on the new xdg spec). ;-)
                  Yea, this is one of the paper cuts that keep me using KDE Plasma

Comment

Originally posted by alosarjos View Post
                    Still no DRM lease support, either.

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post
                    I thought triple buffering is already merged
                    I thought so too, but: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1441

Comment

Working...
                    X