Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO_uring To Ring In Some Awesome Improvements With Linux 6.0

Phoronix: IO_uring To Ring In Some Awesome Improvements With Linux 6.0

IO_uring continues to be one of the greatest Linux kernel innovations in recent years and with the in-development Linux 6.0 kernel is getting even better along with some nice block updates and other storage-related enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This improves buffered write support by 2-3x.
    Yes, please! That's one of my use cases!

Jens Axboe is teasing a new AMD EPYC server with 128 cores and 24 Optane drives
    This seems a bit weird. Doesn't facebook/meta use pretty much only OCP hardware?

Also, too bad Intel just announced Optane is being completely discontinued.

Anyway, I wonder how much it would hurt his IOPS throughput to cut down the core count to 32-cores (i.e. 2x 16-core EPYC CPUs). Another twist would be to introduce 800 Gbps of RDMA over Ethernet and see what happens to his IOPS.

Comment

So we're not doing 5.20 anymore?

Comment

Sounds nice with the sched and io_uring improvements, but what about MGLRU?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          So we're not doing 5.20 anymore?
          No, it's 6.0 to celebrate Linus' new Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            This seems a bit weird. Doesn't facebook/meta use pretty much only OCP hardware?
            It's quite common for kernel developers to get h/w donations because the h/w companies have an interest in making sure the features are fully optimized for. Major kernel developers are rarely beholden to only working on things that interest their current employer anyway.

Comment

I'm very excited on this new bunch of progresses. I hope that linux operating systems will adopt this kernel soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                I'm very excited on this new bunch of progresses. I hope that linux operating systems will adopt this kernel soon as possible.
                I don't think this will translate in much performance gain for home PCs. I think this is more about doing things the right way (no extra copying, no unnecessary blocking). It will mean more headroom for stressful scenarios, but that's the kind of scenario usually found on servers.
                Be that as it may, as a software engineer myself, I can only applaud one (more) thing done the right way.

Comment

Typo; pulliung

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    No, it's 6.0 to celebrate Linus' new Mac.
                    It's just a number i suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X