Linux Proposal Adding getrandom() To The vDSO For Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Proposal Adding getrandom() To The vDSO For Better Performance

Phoronix: Linux Proposal Adding getrandom() To The vDSO For Better Performance

Jason Donenfeld of WireGuard fame who has recently been spending much work on improving Linux's "random" kernel code has sent out a proposal adding getrandom() support to the vDSO for better performance in seeking to better address the needs of user-space developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think there are valid scenarios where one want to use pseudo random numbers instead of true random numbers, especially for repeatable AI workload or physics simulation. The only thing debatable is if we should provide such generator in standard library.

Comment

I see no need for debate on that; a repeatable pseudorandom number generator belongs in a specialized library, not libc. In libc it would just be a footgun.

What I would like to see in glibc is more hashing functions (eg. what libxcrypt provides). The use of better hashing should be widely encouraged and as frictionless as possible.
      Last edited by Gonk; 30 July 2022, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder whether the per-process page thing could be used to put other stuff like get{,e,res}{u,g}id, getpid, getppid or getpgrp into the vDSO.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
          Interesting. I wonder whether the per-process page thing could be used to put other stuff like get{,e,res}{u,g}id, getpid, getppid or getpgrp into the vDSO.
          In theory yes (though at some point you need to allocate multiple pages for the data). In practice is there really a need for it? I don't believe that these functions are performance critical. They ​​are simply not called that often.

Comment

A pseudorandom number generator is already there as rand() plus srand() in stdlib. If it is a foot gun, we are probably stuck without any choice of stop providing it. We can only seek to make it shoot one's foot less often.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
              I see no need for debate on that; a repeatable pseudorandom number generator belongs in a specialized library, not libc. In libc it would just be a footgun.

What I would like to see in glibc is more hashing functions (eg. what libxcrypt provides). The use of better hashing should be widely encouraged and as frictionless as possible.
              I'm totally a side person, but why not have a function that yields different results (and speed) based on an incoming parameter, say in glibc like this pseudo code:
              getrandom(RANDOM_TRUE); // slower but true randomness
              getrandom(RANDOM_PSEUDO); // quicker execution

and glibc internally should call the proper (kernel?) function.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                I'm totally a side person, but why not have a function that yields different results (and speed) based on an incoming parameter, say in glibc like this pseudo code:
                getrandom(RANDOM_TRUE); // slower but true randomness
                getrandom(RANDOM_PSEUDO); // quicker execution

and glibc internally should call the proper (kernel?) function.
                For a start because we have already different functions, but I could also point out that by doing that you need to overflow just one byte of the stack to make it return non-random numbers when real randomness was needed.

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
                I think there are valid scenarios where one want to use pseudo random numbers instead of true random numbers, especially for repeatable AI workload or physics simulation. The only thing debatable is if we should provide such generator in standard library.
                Those are part of the standard library. The function in discussion was always about real randomness.

Comment

I think there are valid scenarios where one want to use pseudo random numbers instead of true random numbers
                  getrandom() also gives you pseudo-random numbers—which is why adding arc4random now seems so arbitrary.
                  Manpage for getrandom: ""By default, getrandom() draws entropy from the urandom source""
                  Manpage for urandom: ""When read, the /dev/urandom device returns random bytes using a pseudo-random number generator seeded from the entropy pool.""

Comment

We use them in OpenZFS:

OpenZFS on Linux and FreeBSD. Contribute to openzfs/zfs development by creating an account on GitHub.

OpenZFS on Linux and FreeBSD. Contribute to openzfs/zfs development by creating an account on GitHub.

That said, I am surprised that this is such a problem for people. There are very tiny high quality pseudo random number generators from the xorshift family. We adopted them in OpenZFS for use in the kernel where we need a large quantity of random numbers. CPU time dropped by 3% from adopting them.

Comment

Working...
                    X