Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Releases ASTC Encoder 4.0 With Even Faster Performance

Phoronix: Arm Releases ASTC Encoder 4.0 With Even Faster Performance

When it comes to compressing textures using the Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression (ASTC) format that is supported by the OpenGL / OpenGL ES / Vulkan APIs, Arm's ASTC Encoder has long reigned supreme. Out today is ASTC-Encoder 4.0 as the latest performance-boosting update to this open-source compressor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know which one I used last but it was always so slow. It's a shame because it was pretty fun seeing what gains could be gotten. On the rare occasion that a texture still looked good at less than one bit per pixels, it always felt awesome.

I always wondered if it could be GPU accelerated and if some sort of pass could be done to determine what textures were better suited for higher ratios. It's easy to guess when you see extremes but not as easy to guess with all the in-betweens.

Comment

Working...
    X