Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Retbleed Performance Costs With An AMD Ryzen 7 4800U

Phoronix: The Current Retbleed Performance Costs With An AMD Ryzen 7 4800U

Following some weekend benchmarks here are more complementary numbers on the Retbleed mitigation performance benchmark costs. These additional numbers are on a Zen 2 based AMD Ryzen 7 4800U APU that has been common both to laptops as well as embedded/low-profile devices for thin client computing, IoT / edge use-cases, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, on the average, that's not quite as bad as I expected, so I'm pleasantly surprised. My Ryzen 3600 should still do fine for my use cases then hopefully.

Comment

Still an ouch. Not fun.

Comment

Hey Michael,

one question - why don't you have tests for MariaDB? I am just quriose.

Comment

Originally posted by gosh000 View Post
          Hey Michael,

one question - why don't you have tests for MariaDB? I am just quriose.
          I do have a MariaDB benchmark but rather demanding and time consuming that tend to only run it more on the server CPUs compared to Redis, SQLite, LevelDB, etc, that one could argue is more relevant for consumer CPUs.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seems to be AMD's Meltdown (as far as impact is concerned) which I was afraid would happen at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              Seems to be AMD's Meltdown (as far as impact is concerned) which I was afraid would happen at some point.
              Affected Intel CPUs seem to be doing even worse here so I wouldn't exactly call it Meltdown. The whole idea of speculative execution is facing a huge challenge though.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post

Affected Intel CPUs seem to be doing even worse here so I wouldn't exactly call it Meltdown. The whole idea of speculative execution is facing a huge challenge though.
                No, that's exactly what it is. I shouldn't have to spell it out and connect the dots, but I will since some don't "get it". It doesn't matter that Intel's CPUs may fare worse on some benchmarks. AMD has been living a charmed life till now with the speculative execution vulnerabilities. None of them have had as big an impact on overall AMD performance as the initial Meltdown discoveries had on Intel until now. That's all that I mean by that. Don't be figuring that because Intel performance may be as bad off that it somehow changes AMD's relative performance impact for those using affected AMD CPUs.

Comment

I don't understand why desktop users get so bent out of shape over this.

Unless your running untrusted code (i.e you're a cloud service provider), there is no reason not to run with mitigations=off
                  Last edited by partcyborg; 18 July 2022, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
                    I don't understand why desktop users get so bent out of shape over this.

Unless your running untrusted code (i.e you're a cloud service provider), there is no reason not to run with mitigations=off
                    What about all the crap that runs in your browser?
                    With wasm, drm modules, webgl, html5 and what not your browser is probably more feature rich OS than win 3.11 if not win95.

Comment

Working...
                    X