Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.221 Released With VK_EXT_pipeline_robustness

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.221 Released With VK_EXT_pipeline_robustness

Vulkan 1.3.221 was released this week as the newest spec update for this industry-standard graphics/compute API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope Vulkan absorbs other APIs such as OpenCL, OpenAL and others.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I really hope Vulkan absorbs other APIs such as OpenCL, OpenAL and others.
      Given that Apple hasn't managed to fad their wait into killing off 3.5mm audio jacks on PC motherboards yet, and you can still buy AMD chips that are CPUs, not APUs, I doubt OpenAL will become superceded by a GPU API spec... at least not yet.

Comment

Is it just my narrow perception, or are new extensions often developed without direct AMD contribution these days?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Given that Apple hasn't managed to fad their wait into killing off 3.5mm audio jacks on PC motherboards yet, and you can still buy AMD chips that are CPUs, not APUs, I doubt OpenAL will become superceded by a GPU API spec... at least not yet.
          It's not just GPU only, Vulkan video is there too.

Comment

It's not just GPU only, Vulkan video is there too.
            Yes, because the intended ideal situation is for the GPU to handle video encode/decode. As far as I'm aware, HDMI still isn't the primary audio output for most PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Yes, because the intended ideal situation is for the GPU to handle video encode/decode. As far as I'm aware, HDMI still isn't the primary audio output for most PCs.
              Vulkan doesn't handle hardware connectors, anyway.

And OpenAL is not so developed, it could be a good candidate to compete with DirectX stuff is assimilated and improved.

Comment

Vulkan doesn't handle hardware connectors, anyway.

And OpenAL is not so developed, it could be a good candidate to compete with DirectX stuff is assimilated and improved.
                But Vulkan is concerned with talking to a GPU, not the Intel HD Audio codec on your motherboard... which makes what you're arguing for sort of like arguing that Direct3D (not DirectX, Direct3D specifically) should subsume audio handling.

Comment

Working...
                X