AMD Is Hiring To Improve Its Linux Graphics Driver Installation Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hiring To Improve Its Linux Graphics Driver Installation Experience

Phoronix: AMD Is Hiring To Improve Its Linux Graphics Driver Installation Experience

While AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver stack is wonderful if living on the bleeding-edge with a modern Linux distribution, for those on enterprise Linux distributions that tend to stick to older versions of packages for the support lifetime or where wanting to run a vetted/qualified driver stack, it can be more of a pain. For AMD's packaged Linux driver stack it only supports those select enterprise Linux distributions and can run into pain points trying to run elsewhere or even say running brand new LTS distributions at times can lack support. There are also challenges in installing/running the ROCm compute stack outside of the few officially supported Linux distributions by AMD. Fortunately, they are now hiring Linux build engineer(s) to work on such issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also worth noting is this listing https://jobs.amd.com/job/Orlando-RIS...lor/906800900/

Big things coming for RISC-V at AMD I think!

Comment

Nice, but I would like to see an official GUI for changing graphics settings...

Comment

And controlling voltage and fan speeds

Comment

Originally posted by pierce View Post
          Also worth noting is this listing https://jobs.amd.com/job/Orlando-RIS...lor/906800900/
          Big things coming for RISC-V at AMD I think!
          its the TSMC chip node what makes this possible to do RISC-V in the past intel had the node advantage and this did make alternative ISA designs impossible.

in 2026 the AMD64+SSE3 patent will be expired and it looks like intel is already years in making a complete new cpu architecture...

who knows what happens to x86 in the next 3-4 years...
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            let's get the infrastructure up and running first, we need functional drivers for our hardware we already own, my friends

Those last 2 job offerings from AMD sound really great, I so hope they address the pain points soon:
            - AMF not fully working with linux (and quality needs to get fundamentally better with RDNA3 or Zen4-APUs) - Intel will dominate that market in a few weeks (their driver works), Nvidia will catch up with their next gen cards (we need AV1, B-frames for h264/h265, current-saving modern multimedia with Windows/Mac/Linux and acceptable quality)
            - OpenCL / ROCm and everything only running on some cards and some distros - that must change, it's possible
            - driver support for APUs basically missing if you don't use Windows OS - that's a pity, you know your hardware could work, you just use the wrong OS

If those points are fixed we can talk about a nice UI for tuning some parameters a few people want to change - agreed

Comment

I realize this is a thing on Windows, but it makes no sense. The graphics settings should be the responsibility of the developers of graphics programs, not the video card vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post

I realize this is a thing on Windows, but it makes no sense. The graphics settings should be the responsibility of the developers of graphics programs, not the video card vendor.
                TBH game devs do not implement many features they should, just because its not worth their time or they don't know to do it.

And some things (fast or enhanced sync) are better done driver side.
                Last edited by brucethemoose; 11 July 2022, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Just leave it for the desktop environment and cli to do this. We don't need gamer themed GUIs made a requirement. Look how terrible NVIDIA's is.

Comment

Really I would like to see AMD make a software UI suite like they have for Windows users. Maybe they can't do everything due to limitations of Linux X11/Wayland atm but they certainly could have allot of stuff at least. Make it open-source, be nice.

There has been several attempts at such a thing by the community over the years but they rarely keep up to date and often only cover a few basic features.

Originally posted by pierce View Post

Just leave it for the desktop environment and cli to do this. We don't need gamer themed GUIs made a requirement. Look how terrible NVIDIA's is.
                    It would be optional, If you like doing everything via CLI then so be it.
                    But give a GUI for those that want to download and use it. Don't be that kind of Linux enthusiast who demands everyone stick with CLI because you prefer that.
                    I prefer that for many things too but often also end up making shortcuts and bindings once I figure a CLI trick out.
                    Last edited by theriddick; 11 July 2022, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X