Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratis Storage 3.2 Comes With The Ability To Stop/Start Pools

Phoronix: Stratis Storage 3.2 Comes With The Ability To Stop/Start Pools

Red Hat engineers continue working on Stratis Storage as their means of providing Btrfs and (Open)ZFS like features atop the mature XFS paired with DM + Clevis + LUKS. Stratis 3.2 is out today as the newest update to this Linux storage stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone remembers EVMS from early 2000'? That could have been developed into what stratis is today, but before ZFS was even a thing. Pity ...

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      Anyone remembers EVMS from early 2000'? That could have been developed into what stratis is today, but before ZFS was even a thing. Pity ...
      Yes, I do but for reasons that might be different from you. I remember it as an exemplary example of responding to adversarial decisions in an open source project. Even though it was sponsored by a large organization, they reacted is a classy way. The reworked user space tooling was included by several distributions later but it didn't catch on then, which is a pity. I use LVM professionally on a regular basis but it isn't an elegant user space interface.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        I use LVM professionally on a regular basis but it isn't an elegant user space interface.
        To say the least. ;-) It all works, but the awkwardness of the cli interface is really a weak point.
        On that front, something like Stratis is more than needed. :-)

Comment

Is there someone here actually using stratis? How does it compare to for example btrfs or zfs from a user's perspective?

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            Is there someone here actually using stratis? How does it compare to for example btrfs or zfs from a user's perspective?
            I don't use it myself but it's basically like several technologies strapped together with duct tape and bailing wire to try and provide features that they were never intended to do.

Comment

the only reason anyone even knows this project exists is because phoronix jumps on every opportunity to talk about stratis.

Comment

i wanted to give stratis a try today. but then i learned it doesnt even support raid1 - and dm-integrity is only a roadmap.

i laughed hard and got back to zfs.

still waiting for bcachefs though

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                  I used it for a few months. I think comparing it to btrfs and/or zfs is inappropriate. It really is just an easier way to use LVM, in my opinion, with a few extra goodies like encryption, thin provisioning, and ssd+hdd tiering. Not having RAID is a real problem for me if I wanted to use it for an actual business workload.

Comment

Originally posted by johncall View Post

I used it for a few months. I think comparing it to btrfs and/or zfs is inappropriate. It really is just an easier way to use LVM, in my opinion, with a few extra goodies like encryption, thin provisioning, and ssd+hdd tiering. Not having RAID is a real problem for me if I wanted to use it for an actual business workload.
                    Understood, I was perhaps not very clear. I wanted to know how the user tools are compared to btrfs / zfs e.g. are they "as easy" to use? What features are being offered etc... I read about Stratis a while ago and as I understand it back then it presents a bock devices amost like mdby generating partitions as needed and using lvm/mdraid(?) to sow features together.

Not sure how it works these days or how much of that plans materialized that is why I asked.

I am a great fan of BTRFS, but I really think linux need something that can pool devices the same way btrfs does. E.g. something that presents a generic block device (like md) that uses the chunk allocator principles of BTRFS to provide "RAID", checksums, chunk allocations, migrations etc with any filesystem on top. Sure, some features would be lost - but it would be a more advanced md or "better md" if you like and the filesystem layer would therefore be agnostic.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X