Darktable 4.0 Released With Rewritten UI, Much Improved OpenCL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 4.0 Released With Rewritten UI, Much Improved OpenCL Performance

Phoronix: Darktable 4.0 Released With Rewritten UI, Much Improved OpenCL Performance

Darktable 4.0 has debuted today as a major update to this open-source, cross-platform RAW photography software suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's a flower in infrared that I processed in Darktable 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Here's a flower in infrared that I processed in Darktable 4.0
      Cool! The shadows on the petals are perfect, getting variation in shade and having one fully in the sun. Do you feel like sharing the raw/unprocessed version so we can compare?

Comment

Originally posted by xuwang View Post

Cool! The shadows on the petals are perfect, getting variation in shade and having one fully in the sun. Do you feel like sharing the raw/unprocessed version so we can compare?
        Thanks. Here you go.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Thanks! At first I liked the unprocessed better, but then I realized that it didn't have enough contrast and on second look I liked the processed better. Well done I still feel like the unprocessed could make for a nice, low-contrast, relaxing painting

Comment

I hate to be the party pooper, but that's just soft and with a lot of noise. I'm guessing there's a filter called "infrared" somewhere, because that picturehas nothing to do with infrared (but the filter itself is interesting).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              I hate to be the party pooper, but that's just soft and with a lot of noise. I'm guessing there's a filter called "infrared" somewhere, because that picturehas nothing to do with infrared (but the filter itself is interesting).
              Just so y'all know I'm not full of shit, here's a picture of my full spectrum camera and various filters; mostly IR between 560nm and 950nm and a few others. This is where I bought it and most of the filters.

And, yeah, it is noisy. Spectrum cutoff filters reduce the amount of light coming through as well as the thicker glass from the filters can make it harder for the camera to focus.

Comment

IR photography is awesome.

What sort of exposure times are you looking at? IIRC, the 800nm+ filters need 20+ minute exposures...?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                  IR photography is awesome.

What sort of exposure times are you looking at? IIRC, the 800nm+ filters need 20+ minute exposures...?
                  At high noon I can get away with up to 850nm with 1/25s exposure, but good shots are difficult and a tripod is very recommended. With my camera, 665nm and 720nm are the highest I can get away with under a quarter second exposure times or for point-and-shoot in general. I haven't experimented with my tripod and longer exposure times, sorry.

Here's a jpeg of my cat Poppy next to those flowers using the hot mirror (real color).

And here's the same kitty under 720nm with the only processing being the camera's white balance.

Yes, she thinks she's better than the rest of us.

Comment

Michael

Typo "bring s" should be "brings".

Comment

Working...
                    X