Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xonotic 0.8.5 Improves This Prominent Open-Source Game

Phoronix: Xonotic 0.8.5 Improves This Prominent Open-Source Game

It's sadly been years since having anything major to report on for Xonotic, the open-source first person shooter game that started out many years ago as Nexuiz. Thankfully a new version of Xonotic was published this week and while it's just a point release, it does come with many improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's funny that the release version is still below 1.0 after so many years.
    Uh, probably not the most effective marketing strategy.

Comment

Xonotic is a pretty darn good arena shooter. IMO it deserves a decent playerbase.

Comment

Is there any good, maintained Vulkan ported id Tech 3 renderer out there?
        Last edited by microcode; 02 July 2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Flatpak's version of this game is: 0.8.2
          I wonder how many years behind we are!

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
            Flatpak's version of this game is: 0.8.2
            I wonder how many years behind we are!

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              Quake3e has a Vulkan renderer option: https://github.com/ec-/Quake3e
              Feature-wise, it's close to the OpenGL 2.x renderer, and it doesn't always perform better than that renderer. Still, feel free to give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by _ReD_ View Post
                It's funny that the release version is still below 1.0 after so many years.
                Uh, probably not the most effective marketing strategy.
                At least they're still ahead of Wine, which only released 1.0 after what, 15 years or so?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                  1. DarkPlaces engine powering Xonotic is an id Tech 2 (Quake 1) engine, though it supports many id Tech 3 technologies: Quake 3 .pk3 (package format), Quake 3 .bsp support (map format) and almost complete Quake 3 .shader support (material format).
                  2. This kind of engine run on potatoes and OpenGL provides enough features, so no urge for Vulkan (I'm not saying no one should tinker with it, though).
                  As far as I know the bottleneck in Xonotic comes from some old QuakeC limitation that makes it heavy on CPU because some structs has to be very large and then can invalidate CPU cache. QuakeC is the language used to program the gamecode.

Comment

After 3 years!!!

I almost thought Xonotic was dead (considering the official SMB server went down last year) but after seeing this news I am glad things are still going well!

They jumped a few version numbers though....

Comment

Working...
                    X