Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux "RADV" Radeon Driver Gets A Big Speed-Up For 16-bit FidelityFX Super Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux "RADV" Radeon Driver Gets A Big Speed-Up For 16-bit FidelityFX Super Resolution

Phoronix: Linux "RADV" Radeon Driver Gets A Big Speed-Up For 16-bit FidelityFX Super Resolution

Merged today to Mesa 22.2 was a four month old merge request for the open-source Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" that significantly improves the 16-bit FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it reduces the hit of FSR by ~35%. Really cool, but I thought the hit was really small already. So I wonder how much difference it actually makes.

Comment

What's a good way to use FSR for GOG games? Is there some set up guide?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Code:
        gamescope -w 1280 -h 720 -U -- %command%
        SteamOS session compositing window manager. Contribute to ValveSoftware/gamescope development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
          So it reduces the hit of FSR by ~35%. Really cool, but I thought the hit was really small already. So I wonder how much difference it actually makes.
          it all has a hit, FSR has two layers that can be surprising intensive, but still much less then native rendering, historically AMD 16bit preformance is pretty bad on radv, no idea what the patch does, but if it makes it better that is really nice.

I use gamescope myself and it's not embedded into the game, no guide on it, but since FSR is post processing it's not an issue.

it is it's quite simple to use, https://github.com/Plagman/gamescope#options

Comment

Also, now that FSR 2.0 is open source there should be game-specific mods popping up. It should be easy to replace a game's DLSS with FSR 2.0, according to this mod author: https://github.com/PotatoOfDoom/CyberFSR2
            It is noticeably better than 1.0, but it can't be enabled to just any game. So using gamescope is a great solution everywhere else.

Comment

In addition to Gamescope you can use Wine-GE and use the following environment variables to enable it and set its strength. Strength varies between 0 (best) and 5 (worst), 2 is default.

Code:
              WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR_STRENGTH=2
              It also has "WINE_FULLSCREEN_FAKE_CURRENT_RES=$SOME_RES" to define the resolution you're upscaling from. See the latest release notes for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

In addition to Gamescope you can use Wine-GE
                I wonder if some plugin for Wine Wayland driver can be added to use it, since it has an idea similar to "fullscreen hack".

Comment

I wonder if some plugin for Wine Wayland driver can be added to use it, since it has an idea similar to "fullscreen hack".
                  If I'm not mistaken it uses Wayland API to do that, the wp_viewporter protocol. So for that to work, Wayland compositors would need to implement FSR in their renderers. Could be a good idea, also for upscaling non-HIDPI apps.

Comment

I remember that initial Wine FSR patch had only 32-bit path implemented. Was it extended to support a 16-bit path later?

Comment

Working...
                    X