New Progress Being Made On Deep Color Support For GNOME Wayland Sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Progress Being Made On Deep Color Support For GNOME Wayland Sessions

Phoronix: New Progress Being Made On Deep Color Support For GNOME Wayland Sessions

One of the multi-year efforts in the GNOME Wayland camp has been on deep color support and it's been of interest to Ubuntu developers among other parties. After not hearing about any progress on GNOME Wayland deep color support in a while, some progress is now being made...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Never in my life have I found anything as pointless and infuriating than displaylink. Masterclass on how to absolutely over-complicate connecting displays to a computer.

Comment

Hopefully, this will make things easier for adopting HDR.

Comment

From the article:
        [...] for legacy XWayland clients and shared memory clients where 24-bit color is still being used may see higher memory bandwidth use with the switch to 30-bit.
        As I pointed out in the MR, that is not the case, each pixel occupies 4 bytes in both cases.

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
        Hopefully, this will make things easier for adopting HDR.
        Something like this is required for HDR (it's more likely to use even higher colour depth though when possible).

Comment

There are three components to HDR support that I can see:

1. 10-bit support (for a total of 30 bits)
          2. Signaling BT.2020 color via HDMI or DisplayPort (also known as Wide Color Gamut).
          3. Signaling BT.2100 PQ or HLG via HDMI or DisplayPort.

Comment

Never mind, I meant DisplayPort.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 22 June 2022, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Really? I just switched to DisplayLink a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. The colors are more crisp and accurate and text is more crisp as well. The cable is also much sturdier and more secure than any HMDI cable I've ever seen. But the better colors and text alone are worth it.
              Displaylink is a digital connection, just like hdmi and displayport. It makes no difference to image quality. Unless you were using vga before?

Comment

Disregard this, I meant DisplayPort.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 22 June 2022, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Placebo. And aren't you confusing displaylink with displayport?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                    Placebo. And aren't you confusing displaylink with displayport?
                    Oops, you're right! I meant DisplayPort. Sorry for the confusion!

I have no experience with DL, so I can't say anything about that.

Comment

Working...
                    X