Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Of Six Linux Distributions On The HP Dev One

Phoronix: The Performance Of Six Linux Distributions On The HP Dev One

As a follow-up to last week's HP Dev One review for the HP laptop that is pre-loaded with System76's Pop!_OS and optimized for a good Linux experience complete with Fwupd/LVFS support, here are benchmarks of the HP Dev One while trying out Arch Linux, Ubuntu 22.04, Fedora Workstation 36, openSUSE Tumbleweed, and Clear Linux in addition to the default Pop!_OS 22.04 installation.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could you also add Cinnamon with Linux Mint too?

Comment

Zstd results were mixed even when distros are using the same version. It would be interesting if someone can explain why.

Comment

Zstd seems like a good place for optimization focus.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
          Zstd results were mixed even when distros are using the same version. It would be interesting if someone can explain why.
          Where the versions are actually the same, this is only Arch being extremely slow in the compression benchmarks. If I read the PKGBUILD right, this is no wonder because there is no optimization due to an invalid CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE.

Comment

I quote abu_shawarib: why did Arch Linux fail the Zstd exam?

Comment

FWIW, there is now an updated zstd package in Arch testing with an interesting compile flag adjustment:
              https://github.com/archlinux/svntogi...e3365e18f270f7

Comment

Tumbleweed seems to be the dark horse here with some good performance. I'm impressed although I use EndeavourOS.

Comment

Could you at one point benchmark Solus again? When doing a bigger desktop distro roundup maybe? They are doing a lot of package optimizations, it is probably the biggest independent desktop-focused distro other than you have included, and it is quite easy to use.

Comment

Oh wow. In addition to performance, look how much lower Clear's average temperature/power consumption is than other distros. That could easily translate to battery savings, especially with a non default governor.

Again, I would love a arch (or fedora/suse) spin that just pulled in some of Clear's work. And I would love to run Clear... but its an absolute pain on Nvidia hardware.
                    Last edited by brucethemoose; 17 June 2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X