KDE Plasma 5.25 Released With Wayland Improvements, Improved Gestures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.25 Released With Wayland Improvements, Improved Gestures

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.25 Released With Wayland Improvements, Improved Gestures

KDE Plasma 5.25 is now shipping as the latest half-year major update to the KDE desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I clicked that Neon link and saw the Shells, Docker, and Snaps information in addition to the Neon information and that got me wondering: Will Flatpak ever have the same level of support and availability as Snaps?

But this is looking to be a really nice release. Can't wait for Manjaro to update it to their stable repos.

Comment

After 15 years of KDE I switched to Gnome with version 40 and I'm switching back to KDE Plasma with version 5.25. Hopefully KWin won't be a deal breaker with multiple monitors under Wayland.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        After 15 years of KDE I switched to Gnome with version 40 and I'm switching back to KDE Plasma with version 5.25. Hopefully KWin won't be a deal breaker with multiple monitors under Wayland.
        Out of curiosity: Which extensions did you end up using (if any)?

For reference, on Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite, KDE is usable out of the box for me (except that I needed to rpm-ostree install ksshaskpass on the fedora 35 branch because it was omitted in the base install), whereas with GNOME I tend to install a small suite of useful extensions such as Dash to Panel etc., which requires me to rpm-ostree install gnome-tweaks etc.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          It has the habit of moving windows from one monitor to another when you restart. But it's not Wayland-specific. You also lose night light any any form of color management.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            I clicked that Neon link and saw the Shells, Docker, and Snaps information in addition to the Neon information and that got me wondering: Will Flatpak ever have the same level of support and availability as Snaps?

But this is looking to be a really nice release. Can't wait for Manjaro to update it to their stable repos.
            Flatpak has the same level of support as Snaps, Discover can install/uninstall and update Flatpaks just fine

Comment

heh. already running it. So far, very smooth. have to check while using it.
              Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Are these trackpad gestures also available on X.org sessions?

Comment

Originally posted by fhek789 View Post

Flatpak has the same level of support as Snaps, Discover can install/uninstall and update Flatpaks just fine
                  I don't mean that, I mean the amount of programs available in their official repositories. For example, Kate is on the Snap site but isn't on Flathub.

Comment

probably still has that multi monitor dpi scaling bug that messes up context menu and panel rendering

kde devs straight up refuse to fix it since they claim the bug is actually in qt, makes plasma unusable on my setup

nevermind that they actually maintain their own qt fork with all sorts of kde specific patches...

Comment

Working...
                    X