Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Dev One - A Great, Well Engineered AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Phoronix: HP Dev One - A Great, Well Engineered AMD Ryzen Linux Laptop

Earlier this month marked the launch of the HP Dev One as an interesting collaboration between HP and System76 for a laptop optimized for Linux developers and running System76's Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS operating system. It's a very interesting laptop and well thought out for Linux use with an AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 58580U SoC and integrated Radeon graphics for satisfying the preferences of many Linux developers preferring a fully open-source driver stack. Thanks to the large scale manufacturing of HP, it's also a competitively-priced Linux laptop compared to many of the Linux laptops from smaller vendors that are based on Clevo or other white box laptop designs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only unfortunate area is just having 16GB of RAM
    How is this unfortunate? It would be so if it was 8GB, but 16 isn't that low either.

Comment

Hello i wonder something in your review you say power consumption by RAPL, RAPL module cannot calculate my zen3 5800H mobile cpus power consumption. How did you configure it?

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        well thought out for Linux use with an AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 58580U SoC and
        While just the one laptop SKU, when purchasing the HP Dev One it does offer accessories such as the HP 935 Creator Wireless Mouse and the System76 Launch Configurable Keyboard ().
        (what was supposed to go there?)

the HP Dev One under load did haave an average of 85 degrees with a minimum of 38 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by cihancan View Post
          Hello i wonder something in your review you say power consumption by RAPL, RAPL module cannot calculate my zen3 5800H mobile cpus power consumption. How did you configure it?
          You should see it under /sys/ but maybe you are trying as non-root user? For security reasons need to be root to read.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Typos:

(what was supposed to go there?)
            Fixed, thanks!
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Soooo frustrating to see such a nice device with for once even the mouse buttons at the top edge of the touchpad, and even with a trackpoint/pointing stick, but then with only two instead of three mouse buttons.

It is beyond me how product designer in their right mind could think that omitting the middle mouse button might be a sensible decision for a Laptop that is geared towards power users, especially Linux users. Would these people also try selling single chopsticks or car tires in packs of three?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

How is this unfortunate? It would be so if it was 8GB, but 16 isn't that low either.
                Because it's part of what makes this not a dev laptop despite being marketed as such, of course neither is the Dell offering. It's a crappy ultrabook for hipsters in HR who aren't doing any real work.

Comment

Originally posted by hardfalcon View Post
                  Soooo frustrating to see such a nice device with for once even the mouse buttons at the top edge of the touchpad, and even with a trackpoint/pointing stick, but then with only two instead of three mouse buttons.

It is beyond me how product designer in their right mind could think that omitting the middle mouse button might be a sensible decision for a Laptop that is geared towards power users, especially Linux users. Would these people also try selling single chopsticks or car tires in packs of three?
                  You think you're joking, but no that's exactly the market these laptops are targeted for. It's not a real dev laptop.

Comment

I found it similar to a Thinkpad L14 AMD.
                    It's quite unfortunate that this HP is only available in USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X