Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 Performing Well, Great Benefit To Newer Intel Xeon & AMD EPYC Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 Performing Well, Great Benefit To Newer Intel Xeon & AMD EPYC Servers

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 Performing Well, Great Benefit To Newer Intel Xeon & AMD EPYC Servers

Last month RHEL 9.0 reached GA as the newest major update to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Since then I've been trying out RHEL 9.0 on a few servers. To little surprise, especially for latest-generation Intel Xeon Scalable and AMD EPYC servers, RHEL 9.0 is offering significant uplift compared to the existing RHEL8 series. Here are osme Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 benchmarks comparing the performance to RHEL 8.6.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad that Canonical limits the out-of-the-box performance of their enterprise-focused Ubuntu 22.04 LTS by sticking to either intel_pstate powersave or acpi-cpufreq schedutil on the AMD side, while RedHat is pushing the performance governor on both CPU vendors by default.
    (And even going so far as to set the energy-performance bias to always prefer maximum performance -- I guess they were "inspired" by Intel's own Clear Linux...)

Comment

Note that RHEL9 is the first major to have userland built with LTO

Comment

Hey that's not fair, we barely started migration to el8 ... el9 is strictly 2025+

Comment

Looks like RHEL 7 (CentOS) migration to RHEL 9 equivalent would give us almost a processor generation of improvement! Maybe my work will switch to Alma Linux 9 soon! I've been advocating a switch to FreeBSD for its native ZFS support but that is a different can of worms...

Comment

Typo..........

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 Performing Well, Great Benefit To Newer Intel Xeon & AMD EPYC Servers

Last month RHEL 9.0 reached GA as the newest major update to Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Since then I've been trying out RHEL 9.0 on a few servers. To little surprise, especially for latest-generation Intel Xeon Scalable and AMD EPYC servers, RHEL 9.0 is offering significant uplift compared to the existing RHEL8 series. Here are osme Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 benchmarks comparing the performance to RHEL 8.6.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=31189

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              Looks like RHEL 7 (CentOS) migration to RHEL 9 equivalent would give us almost a processor generation of improvement! Maybe my work will switch to Alma Linux 9 soon! I've been advocating a switch to FreeBSD for its native ZFS support but that is a different can of worms...
              Didn't FreeBSD rebase their ZFS to OpenZFS (ZFS-on-Linux)?
              According to OpenZFS wiki RHEL-based distributions support both DKMS and kABI packages (for situations where DKMS is too heavy). Would you consider this "native support"?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Typo..........

Fixed, thanks!
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  Too bad that Canonical limits the out-of-the-box performance of their enterprise-focused Ubuntu 22.04 LTS by sticking to either intel_pstate powersave or acpi-cpufreq schedutil on the AMD side, while RedHat is pushing the performance governor on both CPU vendors by default.
                  (And even going so far as to set the energy-performance bias to always prefer maximum performance -- I guess they were "inspired" by Intel's own Clear Linux...)
                  Which isn't really all that relevant. Ubuntu Server doesn't have a major presence in data centers, nor do competent Linux admins deploy without tuning for their performance goals: ie performance vs. power utilization/heat generation.

numacross No. Native support means the originator of the software platform supports the configuration. So long as RedHat doesn't package OpenZFS or directly support that configuration, then it's not native to RHEL. This is what makes Linux an outlier and strange beast in software circles. The Linux kernel and its various developers can build support for $FEATURE, but that doesn't mean the $FEATURE is native to downstream distributions. Support can be removed, changed, classified as broken, etc. by the downstream Linux packagers.

If Windows supports $FEATURE, then the feature is native to Windows, regardless of what 3rd parties might support, and will be supported by Microsoft. But since the Linux kernel is its own entity, and only one piece in a gigantic jigsaw puzzle, that's not the case with any Linux distribution: RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, OpenWRT, etc. They all do their own thing and they all have their own supported feature sets and Way of Doing Things.

Correct on FreeBSD, they did change from their original fork of ZFS to OpenZFS recently.

Comment

After red hat practically killed centos, in my opinion the best replacement is oracle linux.
                    Just like centos, oracle linux is downstream of rhel and doesn't need subscription to get software updates.
                    Oracle uek kernel is also generally faster than red hat kernel as it is designed for real production servers running on newer hardware.
                    For management tools aspect, suse yast is still the best though.
                    ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X