Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS3 Kernel Driver Sees Fixes Sent In For Linux 5.19

Phoronix: NTFS3 Kernel Driver Sees Fixes Sent In For Linux 5.19

Following the recent concerns around maintenance for the NTFS3 kernel driver and other developers stepping up to maintain the "NTFS3" kernel driver contributed by Paragon Software, there is now a batch of fixes ready to go for Linux 5.19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's alive! It's alive!! Everyone please disperse!

Comment

Finally!
      I wonder if this driver manages to keep dates in sync like copying folders / files from NTFS partitions and have the same dates as in Windows as we woul've seen in Windows.
      But I guess the creation date is a mess everywhere as there's only one field for that instead of two required for original folder / file creation date and copied folder / file creation date.

Comment

and fixing various kernel bug fixes
        Is "fixing fixes" similar to a double negative?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Finally!
          I wonder if this driver manages to keep dates in sync like copying folders / files from NTFS partitions and have the same dates as in Windows as we woul've seen in Windows.
          But I guess the creation date is a mess everywhere as there's only one field for that instead of two required for original folder / file creation date and copied folder / file creation date.
          POSIX API/glibc can only set/get modification and last access timestamps. No one in over 30 years of Linux has bothered to write functions for working with birth/creation timestamps.

statx() was added five years ago and it allows to fetch the birth time but I've not seen any applications which show it. And what about modifying the birth time? Seems like it's only possible by using debugfs under sudo/root.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That meant "we are also introducing bugs" but you shouldn't worry
          Last edited by birdie; 03 June 2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Glad to see something is happening.

Been using Windows' Scan+Repair tool on shared NTFS drives frequently to fix vanishing files, and it has been glitching and freezing up systems.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              POSIX API/glibc can only set/get modification and last access timestamps. No one in over 30 years of Linux has bothered to write functions for working with birth/creation timestamps.

"statx() was added to Linux in kernel 4.11; library support was added in glibc 2.28."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

They say when you fix a bug you introduce another one, so that's probably valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ximion View Post

"statx() was added to Linux in kernel 4.11; library support was added in glibc 2.28."
                  Wow, interesting, great! Now I've not seen statx->stx_btime being implemented anywhere in Linux. Have you? Thunar in XFCE doesn't show it, KDE doesn't seem to show it, midnight commander - nothing, ls from coreutils: "change the default of using modification times; access time (-u): atime, access, use; change time (-c): ctime, status; birth time: birth, creation;" no way to show it

For all intents and purposes it's missing altogether. And kernel 4.11 was released 5 years ago.
                  Last edited by birdie; 03 June 2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Wow, interesting, great! Now I've not seen statx->stx_btime being implemented anywhere in Linux. Have you? Thunar in XFCE doesn't show it, KDE doesn't seem to show it, midnight commander - nothing, ls from coreutils: "change the default of using modification times; access time (-u): atime, access, use; change time (-c): ctime, status; birth time: birth, creation;" no way to show it

For all intents and purposes it's missing altogether. And kernel 4.11 was released 5 years ago.
                    AFAIK Nautilus has it.

According to phoronix, Dolphin also has it.

Might be that the fixes are lower down the stack from where you were looking?

Comment

Working...
                    X