No announcement yet.

IO_uring Continues Advancing In 2022 With New Features For Pushing Linux I/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO_uring Continues Advancing In 2022 With New Features For Pushing Linux I/O

Phoronix: IO_uring Continues Advancing In 2022 With New Features For Pushing Linux I/O

The Kernel Recipes 2022 conference kicked off today in Paris, France. Kicking off the event was Linux block subsystem maintainer and lead IO_uring developer Jens Axboe to talk about all of the recent and ongoing work around this major advancement to Linux I/O in recent years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I notice odd things.

For example, I can't help but notice the We Are Hiring! sign. It says "Join a double unicorn". Pedantic, but that should be a "Join a bicorn".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I notice odd things.

For example, I can't help but notice the We Are Hiring! sign. It says "Join a double unicorn". Pedantic, but that should be a "Join a bicorn".
      "Bicorn" wouldn't mean anything for most of the audience. Unicorn on the other hand is a very well recognized term in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        "Bicorn" wouldn't mean anything for most of the audience. Unicorn on the other hand is a very well recognized term in this context.
        And this, kids, is why you want to add "/j" or "/s" after a joke.

Comment

I still haven't figured out where and how it currently applies, or if I can apply it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by guglovich View Post
            I still haven't figured out where and how it currently applies, or if I can apply it myself.
            For instance in place of epoll() (liburing-dev), but it's far more complicated, you won't find stackoverflow pre-existing answers to your io_uring issues and you won't see any difference because your use case likely isn't doing hard core polling.

PS: The most annoying thing about the phoronix forum is that by default it tries to paste "rich text" which ALWAYS makes things horrible and I have to delete, paste elsewhere, copy as "simple text" then paste here again.

PS2: Firefox doesn't have a "paste simple text" like Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              PS: The most annoying thing about the phoronix forum is that by default it tries to paste "rich text" which ALWAYS makes things horrible and I have to delete, paste elsewhere, copy as "simple text" then paste here again.
              CTRL+SHIFT+V pastes without any formatting.

Comment

When I first saw a mention of this "uring" thing in Linux I thought back to an older implementation of "uring"...in a James Bond movie. Goldfinger, if I am not mistaken.

Comment

For the ones who are interested in the changes like me, checkout the slodes here https://kernel.dk/axboe-kr2022.pdf which provides explanation to the newly added features.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

For instance in place of epoll() (liburing-dev), but it's far more complicated, you won't find stackoverflow pre-existing answers to your io_uring issues and you won't see any difference because your use case likely isn't doing hard core polling.

PS2: Firefox doesn't have a "paste simple text" like Chrome.
                    But I understand they have found a use for it in Win11. So in Linux there is no use for desktop only?

Comment

Working...
                    X