Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFSv4 "Courteous Server" Lands As Part Of Linux 5.19 NFSD Changes

Phoronix: NFSv4 "Courteous Server" Lands As Part Of Linux 5.19 NFSD Changes

The NFS server (NFSD) changes have been merged into the Linux 5.19 kernel and a new feature this cycle is supporting the NFSv4 "Courteous Server" functionality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At home, I run two ZFS servers (1 with 8x SSDs, 1 with 4x SSDs) that use kernel-based NFSv4 over 10GbE. What I don't (yet?) "see" is if/how this will affect me. Courteuos sounds good. What do I need to know? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Does this mean I have to leave a 15% tip after doing a file transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
        At home, I run two ZFS servers (1 with 8x SSDs, 1 with 4x SSDs) that use kernel-based NFSv4 over 10GbE. What I don't (yet?) "see" is if/how this will affect me. Courteuos sounds good. What do I need to know? Thanks in advance.
        Hm, its explained in the article. What do you not understand there?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Does this mean I have to leave a 15% tip after doing a file transfer?
          No, it is oracle - you have to pay $10k ... Per physical core

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
            It won't affect you until there's a problem that causes your client and server to lose contact--e.g. if your switch goes down for more than about a minute and a half, while applications are running that use locks, you may see IO errors after the switch comes back up. With these changes, recovery from such a situation should be more graceful.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              ... What do you not understand there?
              If I understood what I (apparently) don't understand, I'm sure I'd (eventually) figure it out.

Comment

Before patch:
                Client copys file to server gets interupted and has 90 seconds to continue before the transfer gets broken.
                After patch:
                Client copys file to server gets interupted and has 90 seconds to continue or even 24 hours if no one else is accessing that file.
                Last edited by Anux; 31 May 2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post

No, it is oracle - you have to pay $10k ... Per physical core
                  for all the hardware in your house

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    Before patch:
                    Client copys file to server gets interupted and has 90 seconds to continue before the transfer gets broken.
                    After patch:
                    Client copys file to server gets interupted and has 90 seconds to continue or even 24 hours if no one else is accessing that file.
                    There are timeout mount options to change the default value to many minutes. One should also use hard mounts if having a single file continuously open, such as vm images and databases.

Mind that with vm images, the guest is will have internal io timeouts. If the guest is running Linux this can also be extended through /sys.

Comment

Working...
                    X