Chrome 103 Beta Adds Local Font Access, Deflate-Raw Compression Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 103 Beta Adds Local Font Access, Deflate-Raw Compression Format

Phoronix: Chrome 103 Beta Adds Local Font Access, Deflate-Raw Compression Format

Following this week's release of Chrome 102, Google has promoted Chrome 103 to beta for their cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chrome's Local Font Access allows enumerating locally available fonts and metadata on said fonts
    Can't wait to be profiled based on the fonts I have installed

Edit: It seems to require a specific permission, but most people click through those anyway...
    Last edited by numacross; 28 May 2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Edit: It seems to require a specific permission, but most people click through those anyway...
      Next Week: That custom Old English font you installed 7 years ago contains an exploit in the O glyph that allows full root access.

Comment

I came here to say the same thing. Meanwhile, Firefox has an anti-fingerprinting setting which makes it harder for trackers to use local fonts as a means to profile users.

Yeah, so it's not really an excuse. The "techies" wont say anything about it because "you can just disable it", leaving (probably) over 90% of people to make uninformed decisions. Besides, permission settings themselves may be used to profile users. It's one bit of finger-printable data for each permission.
        Last edited by board; 28 May 2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Next Week: That custom Old English font you installed 7 years ago contains an exploit in the O glyph that allows full root access.
          There is quite a lot of interesting trickery in fonts, because generally to know which font you have to use, is done by bisection search. Because bisection search has varying time depending on exact glyph you could do in some CTF timing attacks to know exactly what is being printed using fonts. Few RCEs also were existing around fonts. Unlikely it is font that is vulnerable, but libs that are using fonts are quite juicy targets sometimes.

Comment

Chromium based browsers scroll still a garbage on Linux. Incredible!

Comment

Chrome's Local Font Access allows enumerating locally available fonts and metadata on said fonts, so that they can be used within web applications for custom text stacks.
              More spyware and fingerprinting.
              Fuck you Google!

Comment

Font fingerprinting was already possible. This is actually a good thing, because it paves the way for browsers to ship a fixed set of fonts and only expose local ones if the user opts in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Chromium based browsers scroll still a garbage on Linux. Incredible!
                  Agreed. And the font rendering is also still not as good as in Firefox and esp. Falkon.

Comment

Did they break VA-API again in this build? I tried the usual command line tweak but it seems that it doesn't work anymore (or they changed the needed flags or flag names again). *Edit:* I got it to work, it seems I messed up my settings.
                    Last edited by ms178; 03 June 2022, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X