No announcement yet.

Linux Adding A Quirk To Improve Power Management For Intel Arc "Alchemist" GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Adding A Quirk To Improve Power Management For Intel Arc "Alchemist" GPUs

Phoronix: Linux Adding A Quirk To Improve Power Management For Intel Arc "Alchemist" GPUs

In addition to Linux 5.19 being the kernel set to have DG2/Alchemist graphics support in better shape with the IDs now (finally) being added and compute support being ready, this next kernel should boast improved power management handling for these "Alchemist" Arc Graphics GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what the over and under is on Intel skipping over Alchemist discreet cards and waiting for Battle Mage instead. Next year or 3 years late is a real embarrassment, adding pathetic performance vs Love Lace/7000 disastrous sales numbers on top might destroy the chances of Intel to ever make a go of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
      I wonder what the over and under is on Intel skipping over Alchemist discreet cards and waiting for Battle Mage instead. Next year or 3 years late is a real embarrassment, adding pathetic performance vs Love Lace/7000 disastrous sales numbers on top might destroy the chances of Intel to ever make a go of it.
      I believe it's usually best to avoid what I'd consider to be "beta" products, like these Intel Alchemist (name pans out) GPUs, similar to AMD's GCN 1.0 & RDNA1 or nVidia's Fermi earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I believe it's usually best to avoid what I'd consider to be "beta" products, like these Intel Alchemist (name pans out) GPUs, similar to AMD's GCN 1.0 & RDNA1 or nVidia's Fermi earlier.
        I agree, unless the pricing is right. With the incumbents following a premium strategy, there is a lot of business to be made for a price/performance oriented crowd. On the other hand, I still have my doubts if Intel can deliver anything meaningful with Arc, especially after all of the delays. In general, the first generation is passed over quickly in terms of support and capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          intel has no chance at 128bit ram channel interface or 256bit on GDDR6 also not on ultra high end with GDDR6X

but on 64bit ram channel i see intel as a good option why? simple AV1 decode

lets face it the radeon 6400 and 6500 is a failed product on desktop because it has no AV1 decode.

yes intel A350M und A370M is slower than radeon 6400 6500 in games but who play games on such slow cards anyway ?

so i think many people with old computers even with slow CPU to slow for AV1 decode can use these lowend intel cards to get good AV1 support.

on 128bit ram channel interface means radeon 6650X or even 6750 or 6950 intel hardware is already a failure and they can only sell it """cheaper""" because they can not beat AMD on performance what is already proofen with the ARC 350 compared to the amd 6500...

some people will buy intel anyway because they say the H264 and H265 encode on amd is patent-free low quality and intel will have high quality 264/265 encode with opensource drivers...

you see intel will sell cards but not because of the 3D games performance but instead AV1 decode on 64bit ram channel cards and high quality 264/265 encode...
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            I agree. If Intel just released Alchemist during the peak of the mining craze, it wouldn't matter who they released to because miners would have bought them all anyway. That would cover much of the R&D costs, and then next-gen could potentially be a good product. Now that GPU prices are going down, looks like that ship has sailed.

Comment

I hear allot of people complaining about AMD and NVIDIA basically doing away with the low-mid range priced cards which is $100-250-350 priced cards.

If Intel is smart they will target that bracket the hardest because I simply do not see any remote possibility they can compete vs RDNA3 and RTX40 cards coming out quite soon (probably limited qty launch like always)

Comment

Working...
              X