No announcement yet.

Fedora 36 Is A Terrific Release Especially For Linux Enthusiasts, Power Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 36 Is A Terrific Release Especially For Linux Enthusiasts, Power Users

Phoronix: Fedora 36 Is A Terrific Release Especially For Linux Enthusiasts, Power Users

Fedora 36 is releasing this morning as what is yet another release in recent times of being a very robust and bleeding-edge yet stable and reliable Linux distribution. I've already been running Fedora Workstation 36 and Fedora Server 36 snapshots on various systems in my benchmarking lab and this release has proven to be quite solid while adding new features and polish on top of the excellent Fedora 35...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm pretty sure this is the final iso. They just haven't updated their website yet.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      I'm pretty sure this is the final iso. They just haven't updated their website yet.
      Yep should be the same as what was available since last week https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/36_RC-1.5/ as noted in https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-36-Next-Week
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is font rendering on Fedora as good as on Ubuntu?
        Or does Fedora disable patented antialiasing and media codecs so everything looks ugly and I can't play media?

Comment

Originally posted by Avant
          Seems like a great update but I have a question, does fedora include "mutter triple buffering patch" like ubuntu?
          Nope, it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Is font rendering on Fedora as good as on Ubuntu?
            Or does Fedora disable patented antialiasing and media codecs so everything looks ugly and I can't play media?
            Fedora enabled ClearType font rendering in 2018 after Microsoft joined OIN. As for media codecs still not available in base Fedora but there is RPMFusion for that and some other things like Steam client or Nvidia drivers. It seems that RPMFusion is already available for Fedora 36. It's not very different from enabling non-free repositories in Ubuntu and even Fedora docs points to the RPMFusion.

Comment

In case anyone else stumbles over the SCP deprecation in latest OpenSSH (e.g. when trying to connect to embedded devices using dropbear and not providing SFTP): You can use "scp -O" for the time being.

One of the most important security changes for OpenSSH in Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 9 is the deprecation of the SCP protocol. Here's everything you need to know.

Comment

I've tested the April 27th ISO from the Fedora gaming spin (Nubara Project) last weekend. But the out-of-the-box gaming performance didn't impress me at all, tested with the in-game-benchmark of Company of Heroes 2. Even though it was an improvement over an older Rawhide release (20 fps > 33 fps), it is still noticeably slower than other distributions at stock on my hardware (around 40 - 45 fps on Tumbleweed and Endeavour). The good news is that one can get a vastly improved experience by compiling a Xanmod Kernel (at least 85 fps - you can also get to this level quickly by using Kubuntu + Xanmod and Mesa PPA). Just for reference, with a performance optimized EndeavourOS, I get 101 fps and around 93-95 fps on Windows 10 and 11.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Fedora enabled ClearType font rendering in 2018 after Microsoft joined OIN. As for media codecs still not available in base Fedora but there is RPMFusion for that and some other things like Steam client or Nvidia drivers. It seems that RPMFusion is already available for Fedora 36. It's not very different from enabling non-free repositories in Ubuntu and even Fedora docs points to the RPMFusion.
                  That's my biggest issue and source of problems with Fedora - RPMFusion. About half the time I've tried out Fedora, their repos and RPMFusion didn't sync up...very similar to running Arch and waiting a day for the Chaotic-AUR repos to update. That's especially so if you dip into Rawhide.

I wish RPMFusion was like enabling non-free in Ubuntu where it's literally a click or two in their software program and not like now where you have to run terminal commands to enable 3rd party repos that may or may not be in sync so the user can have the Full Desktop experience....not the Stallman experience Fedora offers at present.

Basically, from the point of view of the Average Joe, it's just an extra layer of bullshit when both installing and updating the system. If it was part of the official repos and able to be added/removed with a click or two it would at least take the layer of bullshit out of updating the system.

Not to mention that it would make life a lot easier for desktop devs and sys admins due to not having to worry about Rawhide RPMFusion breakages.

Comment

RPM fusion is fine. "Average Joe" is not going to use rawhide. That's not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X