Wine 7.8 Released With More PE Conversion, WoW64 Sound Driver Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.8 Released With More PE Conversion, WoW64 Sound Driver Support

Phoronix: Wine 7.8 Released With More PE Conversion, WoW64 Sound Driver Support

Wine 7.8 is out today as the newest bi-weekly release of this software for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux, macOS, and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That wow64 bit start big process. This release is 32bit and 16 bit applications in wine using the 64bit host libraries for sound. So means to reduce wine dependency list on 32 bit parts.

Yes as more of this happens less and less will wine be dependant on having 32 bit host runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      That wow64 bit start big process. This release is 32bit and 16 bit applications in wine using the 64bit host libraries for sound. So means to reduce wine dependency list on 32 bit parts.

Yes as more of this happens less and less will wine be dependant on having 32 bit host runtime.
      That is awesome! I think the only reason I keep 32bit libraries around is because of Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

That's great to know. It will also improve support for Wine in aarch64 hosts (especially those without support for 32 bit like Apple M1) with x86 emulation.

If only Steam would release 64 bit client and stop requiring 32 bit libraries on host. I know that many games are 32 bit but since they can use Steam Runtime there is no really big need for having 32 bit libraries installed in host OS. Funny thing is also the fact that some of Steam components are 64 bit only (CEF is example) but client still can't work without 32 bit libraries.
        Last edited by dragon321; 08 May 2022, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I really wish they could get the current versions of MS office running!!! And maybe Solidworks and Revit fo the perfect world!

Currently their gaming support is amazing!

Comment

Working...
          X