Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Changes This Week "Overflowing With Positive Visual Changes"

Phoronix: KDE Changes This Week "Overflowing With Positive Visual Changes"

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly summary of all the interesting changes to have landed this week for benefiting this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

(not in the article)
    In the Plasma Wayland session, KRunner now appears on the active screen when shown, just like it does on X11 (Martin Seher, Plasma 5.25)
    Maybe this release is the one that will finally allow me to switch to Wayland. That said, even if KDE solved its own issues, other programs I use may still not work properly on Wayland.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      When changing the KDE PLasma 5.25 color scheme, the screen will now smoothly cross-fade from the old color scheme to the new colors.

Comment

Good to see their push for more Wayland improvements. It's quite good already. I was pretty sure it'll be another experiment on my workstation laptop which will end up going back to X11 as it always was. Kwin haven't crashed for me since 5.24 release (so entire month of using it), finally it correctly detects all my screens, i can present my desktop (it's not perfect, I need patched unofficial versions of Teams and Slack) and there are just minor things left like browser window is not activating nor notifying when I open URL outside of the browser, Wayland icon on many window titlebars, black screen glitch after unlocking screen that disappears when moving mouse (this one seems to be gone with a point release, haven't seen that for at least a week).

What's good about the session, it feels waay more lightweight. I can tell by thermals and fan noise, which happens rarely. It lives a bit longer on battery too

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
          Good to see their push for more Wayland improvements. It's quite good already. I was pretty sure it'll be another experiment on my workstation laptop which will end up going back to X11 as it always was. Kwin haven't crashed for me since 5.24 release (so entire month of using it), finally it correctly detects all my screens, i can present my desktop (it's not perfect, I need patched unofficial versions of Teams and Slack) and there are just minor things left like browser window is not activating nor notifying when I open URL outside of the browser, Wayland icon on many window titlebars, black screen glitch after unlocking screen that disappears when moving mouse (this one seems to be gone with a point release, haven't seen that for at least a week).

What's good about the session, it feels waay more lightweight. I can tell by thermals and fan noise, which happens rarely. It lives a bit longer on battery too
          I've found that running Teams and Slack in a separate browser tab group is a much better solution than the apps, which always lag releases and need updating. Also, much better memory wise. With the new Teams audio calling support coming this month for Firefox it should be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
            browser window is not activating nor notifying when I open URL outside of the browser
            Activation/notification is fixed for Plasma 5.24.5, assuming the browser uses the official Wayland protocol. (In Nate's article, but not Michael's)

Comment

A little bit offtopic but does Kwinft work? Manjaro officially support kwinft package but it doesn't seem to work. After login in I just get kicked back to sddm screen.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                A little bit offtopic but does Kwinft work? Manjaro officially support kwinft package but it doesn't seem to work. After login in I just get kicked back to sddm screen.
                Yeah, it does, although I haven't compiled it myself for some time now (here running on Debian bookworm/sid):

Comment

Still waiting for that nasty crash with monitor going to sleep in Wayland session to be fixed before switching to it. That's the main deal breaker at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Still waiting for that nasty crash with monitor going to sleep in Wayland session to be fixed before switching to it. That's the main deal breaker at the moment.
                    Is https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=449957 ?

Comment

Working...
                    X