Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Tegra Video Decode Driver Promoted In Linux 5.18

Phoronix: NVIDIA Tegra Video Decode Driver Promoted In Linux 5.18

Part of the mainline kernel has been Tegra-VDE as an originally reverse-engineered NVIDIA Tegra video decode driver. After much work on that driver by developer Dmitry Osipenko, it's been promoted out of "staging" with Linux 5.18 among other media subsystem changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a great release Linux 5.18 will be. Just look at all the articles on Phoronix within 2 weeks about it.

Comment

I bought a Jetson Nano under the impression it was going to have better open source GPU support than other ARM boards but sadly that didn't turn out to be the case. The tegra mesa driver is horribly slow and unmaintained / unused, the Tegra mainline kernel doesn't support HDMI 2.0+ so there is no 4K output and the USB controller operates at about a third of the speed of NVIDIAS closed source kernel.

I might've been OK just using NVIDIA's closed source kernel and drivers but they didn't even support the Nano for a full 2 years before announcing there would be no Ubuntu 20.04 based Jetpack for the Nano.

You'll never compete with the RPi showing such lack of respect for your customers NVIDIA. Whilst this level of support may be accepted by regular smartphone users, Linux users and developers who gave you a chance with the Jetson platform have been burned now and most won't make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
        I bought a Jetson Nano under the impression it was going to have better open source GPU support than other ARM boards but sadly that didn't turn out to be the case.
        Breaking news!

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
          Breaking news!
          Breaking wind!

Comment

Working...
          X