Intel Hardware Feedback Interface "HFI" Driver Submitted For Linux 5.18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Hardware Feedback Interface "HFI" Driver Submitted For Linux 5.18

Phoronix: Intel Hardware Feedback Interface "HFI" Driver Submitted For Linux 5.18

As expected, the thermal subsystem updates for the in-development Linux 5.18 kernel is bringing the new Hardware Feedback Interface (HFI) for benefiting their hybrid architecture processors as introduced recently with Alder Lake...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A few days ago, the first "rolling release" of the Linux Kernel, 5.17 happened. It will be about two or three weeks before kennel 5.18 is treat for installation. On the meantime, every few days now, the several buggy Release Candidates will be published, as usual.
    The raw source code version of these official products are available, as usual, on the release website of The Linux Foundation. A few seconds later, these source codes are available, as usual, in ready to run, compiled form, for most Debian based distributions. This official Ubuntu website more has these compilations only for the AMD64 systems, instead of the many other CPU systems. The low latency versions of these kennel releases are now no longer being pre-compiled.

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
      The low-latency versions of these kernel releases are now no longer being pre-compiled.
      My man GregZeng, thanks for pointing this out from down-under, old Australian bloke!

Michael

I think this is something worth digging into, as it seriously looks like Canonical is planning to discontinue their "lowlatency" kernel flavor and instead merge the changes into the "generic" one, letting all users benefit from the best of both worlds out-of-the-box!

After literally years of carrying the "lowlatency" option around, it suddenly disappeared without a trace:

But this would actually explain why I saw that telling PREEMPT sign on that screenshot of Yours from the 'generic' Linux 5.17's "uname -a".

Actually, if I had to bet, my first guess would be the renewed focus of Ubuntu as a gaming platform, because this is where people are going to notice this fundamental change to the kernel the most.

Going forward, it really looks like Ubuntu will become the first enterprise-grade distro with a "soft real-time" Linux kernel by default!

Comment

Working...
      X