Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Enables SELinux By Default For CBL-Mariner Linux Distro

Phoronix: Microsoft Enables SELinux By Default For CBL-Mariner Linux Distro

It was just last week Microsoft issued a new monthly update to CBL-Mariner, its Linux distribution within use at the Windows company for tasks ranging from Azure to WSL. Now a second update for March has arrived for CBL-Mariner with security fixes and a few other updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Welcome addition.

On a related note, any tutorial that begins with "step 1) disable selinux" is made by incompetent people. There's no SELinux issues, only people who don't know how to use it.

Comment

Oh wait, I finally get Microsoft's motive for WSL. They want to move Azure to Windows, WSL is just the development process, once WSL is perfected, they'll be able to make windows servers that are really just linux servers with the full functionality of linux servers but with windows spyware running in the background and a windows GUI. It's all about combatting open source by sandboxing it in proprietary code they control.
      It's just EEE, yet again.

I probably didn't phrase this the best but I'm sure the idea gets across, extinguish linux servers by replacing them with windows servers that have most of the functionality of linux servers with a few proprietary windows features on top; take over the server market with windows by including linux in windows.
      Last edited by rabcor; 20 March 2022, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Oh wait, I finally get Microsoft's motive for WSL. They want to move Azure to Windows, WSL is just the development process, once WSL is perfected, they'll be able to make windows servers that are really just linux servers with the full functionality of linux servers but with windows spyware running in the background and a windows GUI. It's all about combatting open source by sandboxing it in proprietary code they control.
        It's just EEE, yet again.

I probably didn't phrase this the best but I'm sure the idea gets across, extinguish linux servers by replacing them with windows servers that have most of the functionality of linux servers with a few proprietary windows features on top; take over the server market with windows by including linux in windows.
        Isn't "linux" doing the same with wine?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Isn't "linux" doing the same with wine?
          Ofc no. There's no base for comparison. And nobody is using Wine on servers you know.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            On a related note, any tutorial that begins with "step 1) disable selinux" is made by incompetent people. There's no SELinux issues, only people who don't know how to use it.
            When placing things into individual containers (and getting "security" that way) is easier than setting up SELinux... then that speaks against SELinux.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
              When placing things into individual containers (and getting "security" that way) is easier than setting up SELinux... then that speaks against SELinux.
              Containers don't by default provide the kind of security features that SELinux does. I would recommend reading https://projectatomic.io/blog/2014/0...rnel-keyrings/ and the articles it references.

Comment

Working...
              X