Rust Patches For The Linux Kernel Updated A Fifth Time With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Patches For The Linux Kernel Updated A Fifth Time With New Features

Phoronix: Rust Patches For The Linux Kernel Updated A Fifth Time With New Features

Miguel Ojeda who has been leading the Rust programming language support for the Linux kernel today posted his fifth spin of this patch series providing the optional Rust integration for the Linux kernel that includes example driver code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rust vs. C wars going to begin in 3..2..1..

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
      Rust vs. C wars going to begin in 3..2..1..
      C might be good for smart guys who knows what they're doing, and don't do mistakes, but for me C is a footgun, it is like juggling with chainsaws, I can't do it.
      I very much like Rust more, because to me its more safer and robust. Though Rust build times are slow and it lacks support for support for async functions in traits. Overall, it's a pretty nice language tho.

Comment

Every time we talk about Rust vs. C, we somehow never bring up a language called C++.

We should be comparing Rust to C++, not to C.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Every time we talk about Rust vs. C, we somehow never bring up a language called C++.

The thing is, C++ backwards compatibility with C puts it in the same league. C is not that much of a problem because of the features it lacks, but because of the misfeatures it has. C++ can add stuff, but for a proper replacement you need to take things away, which renders the difference irrelevant here.

Comment

In the context of the Linux kernel, any comparisons to C++ is pointless, Linus is well known for being deeply against C++

Also there is no active proposal for the Linux kernel to adopt C++ while there is one for Rust, so we can only compare Rust and C here, for other projects that may very well be a valid comparison.

Comment

Rust was created as a replacement for C++, that's true, but in practice it sits somewhere between the two.

Comment

The support for various architectures continues to be a major limitation of Rust compared to C/C++, but in the context of Linux, I wonder, does anyone anywhere still intend to use and deploy future Linux versions on something other than x64-64, Aarch64 or Power?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  The support for various architectures continues to be a major limitation of Rust compared to C/C++, but in the context of Linux, I wonder, does anyone anywhere still intend to use and deploy future Linux versions on something other than x64-64, Aarch64 or Power?
                  https://lwn.net/Articles/871283/ covers the two different efforts that will bring broad architecture support and yes, plenty of people continue to use Linux on alternative architectures including on embedded systems and such. Not so much on servers but atleast one of these in your list - Aarch64 has recently become mainstream so it is important to keep that flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

https://lwn.net/Articles/871283/ covers the two different efforts that will bring broad architecture support and yes, plenty of people continue to use Linux on alternative architectures including on embedded systems and such. Not so much on servers but atleast one of these in your list - Aarch64 has recently become mainstream so it is important to keep that flexibility.
                    Aarch64 is not "alternative". It's a mainstream Linux platform and it has tier1 Rust support so there's no problem whatsoever. In embedded systems, IoT etc yes there is still plenty of MIPS but I guess those won't be looking for brand new kernel features and functionalities developed in Rust, so the lack of first class Rust support shouldn't affect them too much either. Besides, as time goes those products will probably move to ARM too.

Comment

Working...
                    X