Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 98 Set For Release With Dialog Element, Still Working On Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 98 Set For Release With Dialog Element, Still Working On Wayland Support

Phoronix: Firefox 98 Set For Release With Dialog Element, Still Working On Wayland Support

Mozilla Firefox 98.0 binaries have hit the web today ahead of the formal release announcement tomorrow. There are various improvements in this latest monthly update to the Firefox web browser while its Wayland support for the Linux desktop remains ongoing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally support for the dialog element! It has been long awaited and is long overdue!
    web browser compatibility support html css svg html5 css3 opera chrome firefox safari internet explorer

Now Firefox will behave like Chrome and Edge and automatically download files. I don't like this so much, and find it a bit worrisome. I hope it does not automatically download .exe files too.
    Last edited by uid313; 07 March 2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

When will JPEG XL support be enabled by default?

Comment

I'm curious what they need to fix for Wayland.

IME Firefox works fine on Wayland (not XWayland), but it crashes within a minute after I also fire up Chromium. I didn't look much into it, but it happened enough to notice the pattern. And we're not talking about a tab crash or something. All windows just disappear at the same time. Thankfully the session restore works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Now Firefox will behave like Chrome and Edge and automatically download files. I don't like this so much, and find it a bit worrisome. I hope it does not automatically download .exe files too.
          For executable files, I assume it works like it does in Chrome, with a prompt that still starts downloading the file in the background. This way, the download isn't slowed down because you forgot to accept the prompt quickly.
          I assume executable downloads over plain HTTP are also blocked (or will be in the future), which is also something Chrome has been doing (or at least considering).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            More time, a lot of important Linux stuff isn't done by core Mozilla devs. Would be nice if that VAAPI RDD sandboxing limitation was solved at some point, it works well otherwise.

Btw. really love the Wayland touchpad scrolling, much better than on Windows (same goes for hwdec performance on slow devices).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Would be nice if that VAAPI RDD sandboxing limitation was solved at some point, it works well otherwise.
              Was fixed in 97. Only
              media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled
              is needed today and it even works in X11.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                At least on amdgpu hardware, scrolling and selection with mouse seems a bit slower with Wayland. I can't measure the difference but it definitely seems a bit slower in comparison. Haven't experienced the same when using intel gpu.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

At least on amdgpu hardware, scrolling and selection with mouse seems a bit slower with Wayland. I can't measure the difference but it definitely seems a bit slower in comparison. Haven't experienced the same when using intel gpu.
                  what gpu? my scrolling and selection is smooth as a babies behind and as quick as the human eye can see at least.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Finally support for the dialog element! It has been long awaited and is long overdue!
                    https://caniuse.com/dialog
                    Agreed. It'll be hugely useful for config UIs in userscripts, for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X