Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 22.04 LTS To Carry GNOME Triple Buffering Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS To Carry GNOME Triple Buffering Support

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will be carrying the patches so the GNOME desktop makes use of the on-demand triple buffering support when necessary in order to boost the GPU rendering performance in order to allow for a smoother desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia shouldn't hold back anything. Should not be supported at all.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Nvidia shouldn't hold back anything. Should not be supported at all.
      This would end up punishing users who would be unfortunately stuck with it and it would hurt the project and users more than it would hurt Nvidia unless you were very clear about it not being supported from the beginning (Sway is an example of this approach but it is a niche for a good reason) I could see the case for merging a PR when the problems are only present with an older driver version however. If it is documented clearly and there is an easy path to update the driver, that's fine.

Comment

Or just work around it by disabling it on the older Nvidia driver.

To be honest I think the Gnome/Mutter maintainers are a bit too strict.

If you look at the pending MR you can clearly see Daniel's dedication looking into and fixing every issue and complaint that other users had who were trying it out.
        So you can expect Daniel to keep doing that once this is merged.

That's why imo this should be merged right away.
        To have the more lower powered systems running the desktop smoothly.

I really hope the Fedora maintainers will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
          Or just work around it by disabling it on the older Nvidia driver.

To be honest I think the Gnome/Mutter maintainers are a bit too strict.

If you look at the pending MR you can clearly see Daniel's dedication looking into and fixing every issue and complaint that other users had who were trying it out.
          So you can expect Daniel to keep doing that once this is merged.

That's why imo this should be merged right away.
          To have the more lower powered systems running the desktop smoothly.

I really hope the Fedora maintainers will do the same.
          It's not a matter of dedication, his employers are requiring results from his work. The logic he's working on requires more work and he's going on shortcuts to get his stuff working. It's good for distros, not good long run for gnome.

Comment

Nvidia looks like a nice excuse for gnome-devs, I can't imagine any distro mixing gnome42 with old nvidia drivers, it has no sens.
            in the other side, don't forget that tripple-buffering is no gamechanger, it's very usefull for old or/and weak igpu but not big deal for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
              Nvidia looks like a nice excuse for gnome-devs, I can't imagine any distro mixing gnome42 with old nvidia drivers, it has no sens.
              If you aren't sure why the latest version with an older driver is a cause for concern, you should have just asked for it, rather than assuming that developers who work on it don't know what they are talking about. The reason why this might matter for example is because even in a long term release like RHEL, Red Hat now routinely updates GNOME to the latest version in point releases. So the older driver can be an issue for long term distro users.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                .... however. If it is documented clearly and there is an easy path to update the driver, that's fine.
                However, 470 is the last driver available for some nvidia GPUs (kepler), so there is no way to update the driver for those still using those older GPUs.

Presumably a fix for the hang at startup will be able to be developed.

Comment

It is unbelievable that gnome devs block a mutter change due to an old nvidia binary incompatibility. I know the world is ridiculous at the moment, but this is something I can not believe. Fedora won't pick up the patch if it not mainstream ( I guess), so we might have a rare instance of Ubuntu LTS shipping an important desktop innovation before Fedora.

Comment

Maybe they should just write a desktop that doesn't require 'the GPU to bump up into a higher performance state due to the additional work.'

Comment

Working...
                    X