Linux's ReiserFS Plan Is To Deprecate It, Remove The File-System In 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's ReiserFS Plan Is To Deprecate It, Remove The File-System In 2025

Phoronix: Linux's ReiserFS Plan Is To Deprecate It, Remove The File-System In 2025

As noted last week there were Linux developers discussing the idea of removing the ReiserFS file-system given that it hasn't been really relevant in more than a decade and is very unlikely to be used still in production use-cases with modern kernels. It looks like the deprecation will move forward but the actual removal from the mainline kernel won't happen until 2025...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For people still needing it, it could be developed as the DKMS module.

Comment

Sometimes premeditated removal is a good thing, other times it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        For people still needing it, it could be developed as the DKMS module.
        Yes or via fuse.

But I guess time will tell if there are any users left. Have my doubts about that.
        Same should be true for ext2 and ext3, they could deprecate those as well, especially since ext4 can mount them, too.
        But maybe they share so much code with ext4, that it's not worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
          Same should be true for ext2 and ext3, they could deprecate those as well, especially since ext4 can mount them, too.
          But maybe they share so much code with ext4, that it's not worth it?
          Ext3/2 already uses the same code as Ext4 now

Comment

the best thing about btrfs is btrfs convert.

Comment

Hopefully, Hans gets free by that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                the best thing about btrfs is btrfs convert.
                Nope, that is very risky. At least in the past, used btrfs convert to convert my ext4 partition to btrfs in Debian a few years back and it trashed the whole fs.

Comment

I wonder about JFS as well. I use JFS on any old system I put Linux on because it is supposed to be the lightest on CPU of any Linux FS, but you don't hear about JFS getting much love today.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Nope, that is very risky. At least in the past, used btrfs convert to convert my ext4 partition to btrfs in Debian a few years back and it trashed the whole fs.
                    out of all the issues I have had, this is actually the one area that has been flawless for me I have converted I think about 11 systems and not a single one has had issues

Comment

Working...
                    X