Fedora 37's Silverblue & Kinoite Look To Default To Read-Only /sysroot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 37's Silverblue & Kinoite Look To Default To Read-Only /sysroot

Phoronix: Fedora 37's Silverblue & Kinoite Look To Default To Read-Only /sysroot

The Fedora Silverblue and Fedora Kinoite immutable OS spins of Fedora Linux are looking at mounting /sysroot read-only by default for where the operating system assets are stored...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Soon, we'll find out how much archlinux compared to fedora silverblue in a steam deck...

Comment

I wonder if this is the same approach that ChromiumOS and ChromeOS use to be ultra secure? I was kind of disappointed to see that ChromeOS Flex beta didn't get announced on this page, I had to learn about it by another news page. Gonna be an exciting OS for aging computers!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        I wonder if this is the same approach that ChromiumOS and ChromeOS use to be ultra secure? I was kind of disappointed to see that ChromeOS Flex beta didn't get announced on this page, I had to learn about it by another news page. Gonna be an exciting OS for aging computers!
        This isn't a security feature. It just avoids accidental writes but Silverblue does share a number of security features with some added flexibility. Refer to https://blog.verbum.org/2017/06/12/o...ating-systems/

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

This isn't a security feature. It just avoids accidental writes but Silverblue does share a number of security features with some added flexibility. Refer to https://blog.verbum.org/2017/06/12/o...ating-systems/
          That was a fascinating read! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'm fascinated by secure computing, things like OpenBSD, ChromeOS, immutable files systems, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

That was a fascinating read! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'm fascinated by secure computing, things like OpenBSD, ChromeOS, immutable files systems, etc.
            I particularly loved this line:

But from a user perspective of course, applications can do quite a lot; similar to the WiFi camera case, attackers are likely perfectly happy injecting “unprivileged” Android applications that can monitor your location, microphone etc.
            Unprivileged

Comment

Anybody running silverblue: how long can you run the os ? is it 5 years like ubuntu lts or longer ? is silverbluie rolling or lts ?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
                Anybody running silverblue: how long can you run the os ? is it 5 years like ubuntu lts or longer ? is silverbluie rolling or lts ?
                Silverblue has the same lifecycle as other Fedora variants with the advantage of being able to upgrade or downgrade very easily and reliably because the OS update is image based.

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

Comment

I decided to try Silverblue several months ago and never looked back. It's rewriting the book on what a Linux distro actually is, and for a workstation or laptop it's simply brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                  X